• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Media Pending Forever

New Here ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to the 2018 version of Premiere Pro and initially I had no problems.  However, starting yesterday, when I went to open the file I had been working on, I get the 'media pending' message for every single clip.  I've given it as long as 40 minutes to load, restarted several times, unplugged and replugged in the hard drive where the media and project file are stored, and restarted my computer (I'm running Mac OS X).

I've tried disabling and re-enabling clips with no result.  My boss suggested I clear the media cache but I can't seem to find it.  According to Premiere itself, it should be located in a folder that I can't find and doesn't appear to exist.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Another Update-

After working on other projects I came back to the one that has Media Pending issues and it would not load.

After several attempts (and required force quits) I opened the project and before trying to play anything I closed the longest sequence (1 hour 40 min) and any bin with open thumbnails. Then saved it that way.

Force quit

Restarted

Opened it, bingo! works.

Note to self: Don't leave large sequences and bins open.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 09, 2018 Jun 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check on the UserVoice system. Very easy to search for any filed buhmgs or feature ideas, and to add into other comments.

That's also where any engineers response would be.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i had issue with the media message on start. deleted the main adobe premiere pro directory found underneath the Documents directory for my user (windows 10). a chat with online tech explored a few things then did that.

my other issue was green and purple playback which i backed down my video driver until it cleared up, however the playback though clear wouldn't play. so uninstalled and reinstalled and was stuck and media pending.

all working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah this happens to me sometimes too. My first startup is like this for some reason, and then Premiere works. It's bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Adobe has really good service. If you‘re using it then you must have a subscription and so all you do is log in and scroll down to the “contact us” suggestion. Then you tell a robot what your problem is and what software you’re using, they connect you to a license person after a short wait and bam, question answered. The dude talked me through step by step until the issue was resolved. Great service.

In short, you have to clear all of your media cache files and close and reopen your sequence. Adobe support was very helpful, he had to guide me because I’m a total noob with deep program files. First (these steps are for Mac) he made me close Adobe Premiere. Then click any open space on the desktop, then click the tab at the top menu bar “Go” > “go to folder.” Then in the search bar that pops up type:

~/library/application support/adobe

From there, look for the “Common“ folder within the “Adobe” folder. He then told me to open up the “Media Cache” and “Media Cache Files” folders and delete Everything inside Both folders. I went ahead and emptied my Trash Bin too, he didn’t ask me to, but I don’t like any lingerers. Then I opened up the project. The problem had still not corrected, but he said the Last thing I had to do was close the sequence and reopen it from the bin (BTW, I also tried closing the sequence and reopening it several times before I contacted Adobe, but I didn’t know about the media cache files or how to find them). From there, it started working again. Thanks Adobe      (Though, you better with how much I’m paying you every year with your stupid subscription plan   )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree where is the product support, we pay hundreds for this software every year and have to get help in Forums???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved this issue for me, I'm using an external sound card. Unplugging the USB made premiere snap out of the yellow "media pending" screen. After that I could select the right sound card and everything works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2018 Mar 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few hours of wasting time with converting and reimporting my files, i decided to create a new folder for the mp4 clips. I copied all of them and renamed each shot (for example from MVI_0001 to 001), imported the "new" files and now Premiere shows me the video and audio, too.

I don't know why, but it works. I hope this method could solve your problmes, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having the media pending thing going on here. it's a project with mp4 files and i've tried the closing the bins, sequences method but it still won't load the clips. the other things i've noticed is that all the clips in the bins have question marks (?) where there should be linked clips. I hadn't seen this reported so i am mentioning it. I assume this is because the program isn't linking properly. the clips are all there, they just aren't getting loaded into the project it seems.

This is a real drag. I'm on a deadline today. please help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'll mention my setup:

MacOS 10.11.6

newly updated Premier as of today

3 single drive external drives with varied media, mostly .mp4 and audio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I noticed was your OS, and I've heard that PrPro really has some things that are better on 10.13 and later Mac OS.

Next, " ... question marks where there should be linked clips ... ". I could read that a couple different ways ... could you be more specific?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so heres an update:

I blew my deadline unfortunately but i left the project open overnight and it seems to be relinking or creating new cache files but verrrry slowly. it's been like 24 hours and i think it's still going. A lot of the clips seems to be linked now in the timeline that i have open, so that's a good thing.  I might even try exporting a compressed version so i can turn something in today.

the question marks (were) in the icon next to the clips in the bins. If the links are healthy they usually look like a little piece of filmstrip with an audio wave graphic over it, but the ones i saw yesterday just had a "?" where the icon is. obviously the clips are present and in the correct location but the program wasn't able to link to them. Today, they seem mostly linked after 24 hours!! i hope i don't have to wait 24 hours every time i open my project!!

i'll  try upgrading my system. any other advice more than welcome....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That over long reclining problem is not right though even on less than perfect gear.

Could be an issue with the project file. Maybe create a new project, then in that project in the Media Browser, navigate to and import the assets of the current project ... see if that improves things.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"over long reclining"! there's a name for it!

Thanks for the reply Neil.

well, the more good news is that the conforming seems to have gotten done finally and everything now seems to be in the right place and plays correctly (with a dropped frame here and there, but that seems to be normal for PP and mixed formats).

I'm gonna try importing my current sequence into a new project and archive the current one and see if that helps anything, and i'll upgrade the OS as well. I'll report back after the weekend.

More generally, I can't seem to ever understand how Premiere deals with render files and preview playback. In FCP 7 (which was my go to for years), i understood that when i rendered in a timeline, the program would create a new video file in the format of the current sequence "under the hood". that file would playback, also under the hood, and so the program wouldn't have to crunch the numbers in order to get various formats to play next to each other.

But with PP, it seems like there is a bunch of work being done in real time to play the source files, even with green rendered sections of the timeline. Are all these cache files some support for what must be enormous amounts of data being crunched as the playhead travels? I'm curious if i have this correct, and if not, please would someone straighten me out or point me to some info that explains this in a way i can understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my phone right now, hopefully tomorrow I'll be at the office and be able to answer some of that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPro has its unique patterns. Green, yellow, and red bars over media on a timeline are general indicators of what might happen. So sometimes yellow sections can have issues and red sections play perfectly.

To get best playback go into your sequence settings and get the preview codec to what either matches the clip perfectly or to what you will export in, but ... use only intraframe codecs like Cineform, DNxHD/R, or ProRes.

Then when you render a section, it should play back better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did this issue happen before you updated the software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it did happen with the previous version of PP and that's when i decided to update as of yesterday so now i am up to date and the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that worked for me is:

- Reveal file in project

- Right-click on the clip

- Select "Modify"

- Select "Interpret Footage..."

And boom! It worked right-away

Of course if you have many clips like that, this method can be time consuming.

- Ivo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2018 Aug 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoever you are, you just saved me HOURS of frustration. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here too. None of the above solutions are working for me.

Any chance someone from Adobe can fix this issue so we can try and use the software professionally?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 31, 2018 Aug 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please file on the UserVoice system. Many are working without issues but some are getting this crud. So nailing what all can lead to this is probably not an easy thing.

That system goes directly to the QC engineers system and also is logged on the management reports the upper folk use to set budgets.

I think we all want a larger budget for engineers  ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really not good enough for Adobe to have not fixed this issue after so many people here have already reported it.

Clients who are paying for an edit are not too keen on waiting while I submit bug reports to Adobe and wait for a solution because we can't open their project.

Premiere still has a long way to go before it can consider itself professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So many people here" still represents a small percentage of total user base. Most of us aren't getting hammered by this stupid thing, which makes getting work out impossible.

And I agree, this needs fixing now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encountered this issue twice in 2019. Suddenly all video remained in "Pending" mode, while audio was playing.

Link/unlink did not help.

Delete of preview and cache did not help.

What helped was to rename the bin of the original material on the harddrive.

When all footage went offline, and now the original material was located at different address, Premiere was forced to reestablish new links. After relinking, which in this case meant to create totally new links, all sequences worked again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines