• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory full and crash. Upgrade recommendations?

Contributor ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have been using after effects and the memory has been filling up and crashing my computer after about 10 min; got 16 GB, obviously, I need more... but how much more? I tried going to After effects from another program for the chroma key work I have been doing looked alot better. But, as I am mainly doing video editing and some color grading aside from the chroma key work I mentioned, So I was going to try PP instead. I don't know if premiere that needs more or less memory then After effects but After effects clearly need more then the program I was using before. Any recommendations if I should just up it 32 or go all the way to 64? (Have 8 DIMM slots)

Thanks.

PS. Does the Keylite chroma screen plugin work as well in PP as it does in AE? or is it more refined in AE? 

Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

After Effects loves RAM, PPro loves your GPU.

I have 128GB of RAM in my system, because I don't want to run against any wall, hardware wise.

16GB is too low for today's large size and raw footage types, combined with heavy processing tasks. If you can afford 64GB, go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Effects loves RAM, PPro loves your GPU.

I have 128GB of RAM in my system, because I don't want to run against any wall, hardware wise.

16GB is too low for today's large size and raw footage types, combined with heavy processing tasks. If you can afford 64GB, go for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Core i7 7800

16 GB ram

Samsung pro 1TB x1 (about 7/8 full but I haven't done a clean up for used footage after the final render for like 5 Months)

Radeon Pro WX 5100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to adding RAM, you may want to consider adding a second internal SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, Chroma key work im going to be doing is shot at 4k 100mbps to 150mbps. Fills up space REALLY fast :/.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines