• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Memory growth with Intel HEVC decoder acceleration (both Premiere and ME)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I recently build a comuputer with the following configuration:
i7 10700K with Intel UHD 630
32 GB memory

Nvidia RTX 3070

Tried drivers:
Nvidia: 461.92 and minimal from adobe recommendations: 461.86 (studio driver)

Intel: 27.20.100.9316 and minimal from adobe recommendations: 27.20.100.9316

And bumped into the plenty of problems with GPU accelerations. Here my tries with different configurations.

(1) My first try was to do the following:
1. Enable hevc decoding on intel and nvidia

2. Use CUDA for playback

Such configuration does not work for long renders (with videos more than 6-8 seconds) and stops randomly with famous error -1609629690As said in topic, disabling hardware decoding of HEVC helps to avoid such error. Notably, it estimates my videos (which all around 10-15 minutes long) rendering around 10-15 minutes.

(2) Since I have UHD Graphics with Intel QuickSync and Nvidia (Adobe Premiere cannot decode and use CUDA on latter at once), I decided to make the next configuration of premier.

1. Disable HEVC encoding and decoding on Nvidia

2. Enabled HEVC decoding on Intel
3. Enabled CUDA playback
Now rendering was not failing longer time and render was fast (estimated around 8-9 minutes). But I discovered the really strange thing. Now Premier crashes all other applications because memory is growing until system is our of virtual memory (which is configured to be managed by system, so it is usually stops around 150GB) when SSD memory free around 10-20%.
Screenshot (3) - Copy.png

This lead other programs to be closed by system (including google drive) where project is opened from. And as it seen from screenshot, memory is not freed even after export stop and export window closed.
The same problem is seen while playback video in right window in premier but more gradually.

And this is definitely a bug somewhere: 
1. In Adobe Premier;
2. In HEVC decoder;
3. In Intel Graphics Driver.
(3) As I have two GPUs, I decided to make an inverse configuration to check where the problem is:
1. Disabled HEVC decoding for Intel;
2. Enabled HEVC decoding for Nvidia;
3. Enabled OpenCL playback.
This worked! Total memory usage is stable at around 30-32GB.
But... of cause using integrated GPU for rendering is really slow. It takes around 1+ hour to render 11 minutes movie. Also, with such configuration RTX 3070 is useless.
(4) As a sanity check, I tried:
1. Enabled all accelerations in hevc encoders/decoders;
2. Use Software rendering playback instead of CUDA or OpenCL
This worked 1.5 hours... but overall memory usage was also around 30-32GB.

(5) This one I tested for fan:
1. Enabled only Intel hevc decoder;
2. Use OpenCL playback
This configuration shortly crashed premiere after export has started ...

Well, I tried many things for this setup but all lead to such a strange memory usage. Such as setting up other versions of Premiere/ME/After Effects. Clean up caches, clean up whole adobe cc with cleaner tool.... But all lead to the same result unfortunately.
Would be really nice, if someone from adobe could help here, please. Because problem seems to be not trivial.

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd try this config:

1. Disable HEVC decoding on Nvidia

2. Enabled HEVC decoding on Intel

3. Enabled HEVC Encoding on Nvidia
4. Enabled CUDA playback

5. set  'Optimize rendering ..'  into "Memory" (Edit > Preferences > Memory.. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will fall in (1) scenario to unability to encode. I tried both performance and memory optimization but there is not difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No difference in optimization to memory or performance in any scenario.
Unfortunately, this looks like there would be no this property.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried again to be sure. Well, it brings me scenario (2), not (1). Memory is growing and not freed.

So.. this is basically memory leak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made one more scenario:
1. Disabled Nvidia decoder/encoder

2. Enabled Intel decoder

3. Used software rendering

And.... this also lead to memory growth. The only difference is that this growth happends very very slow but as well as in scenario (2) memory is not returned to the system...

System Information 3_21_2021 12_43_36 AM - Copy.png

So, the reason is definetely somewhere in decoding with Intel....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for documenting all that. I appreciate your testing. 🙂

My only suggestion would be to disable the Intel gpu via the bios if you have that option. Try it from there. Many top of the line CPUs come without integrated graphics.

Also: 

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro
User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW: I was just thinking, are you trying all the testing with the same project? Perhaps there is some corruption in it. Try a different project or perhaps create a very simple project from new, and see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks I will look into uservoice.
Particularly (2) scenario fails on any project. Other scenarios I was checking within one of projects. Also, these projects are comparably trivial.

It would be more or less ok if it would fail in such a way with only one project. I would render it with software without any accelerations and just forgot about it. But, unfortunately, it fails with any project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines