Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mercury GPU results in jerky RED 8K Helium playback

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2017 Jan 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we have a Server with a RAID 6 made of 8xWD RED 6TB and a SSD Cache made of 6xSamsung 850 Pro configured as a RAID 5 over our Adaptec 81605ZQ. On my benchmarks with ATTO we get these results: http://i.imgur.com/1UrYXDo.jpg

So it looks like it had to be always possible to get out enough speed to play REDs 8K footage.

Our Workstations are connected with 10GbE. When we try to copy files directly to there SSDs or a RAM-Drive we can see the drive itself limits the process.

But then we opened 8K Helium Footage in Premiere Pro and play it back at a quality level the CPU did not overload like 1/8th over Mercury GPU acceleration. We get this result: http://i.imgur.com/4P1Jl46.jpg

Then our playback is extremley jerky. When we switch over to Mercury CPU we get this result: http://i.imgur.com/9XqEquJ.jpg and everything is fluid.

Explanation: We don't know why the Network is limiting at ~1Gbit if we try to play the 8K Footage over the GPU Acceleration with a 1070GTX and its latest drivers. On a Workstation with a 950 GTX the footage appears red and not yellow like on the 1070 GTX and everything works fine. The problem is, that the 1070 GTX can extremely increase the speed of Lumetri when grading 8K Footage. But if we force CPU - the processor (i7 5820K@4,2GHz) is overloaded if we use effects. For cutting and playback it works like charm. When we force GPU Acceleration you can't cut or play the footage back. I see that the network load is under 1Gbit. Switch back to CPU the network load reaches 4Gbit. Any ideas or can someone confirm this problem?

Kind regards - Matthias

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone with more experience may have a better idea, but the only thing I can think of is step 3H.

Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we tried this as well, but still the same result. I contact RED also. They will look for a solution. I think it is a problem in the general handling of premiere. Perhaps the GPU Acceleration is not optimized for the 8K Footage proberbly.

When we use a RAM Drive it also works with GPU. But it works with CPU Acceleration so it cant be the infrastructure. For now we cut the footage over cpu and grading/rendering over GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The other possibility is that I am seeing some reports of oddness using 1000 series nVidia cards, where the 900 series seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines