• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mercury Playback CUDA Slower then Software Only Explain?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys i recently upgraded my pc for video editing. The 2 Main parts that i got are the Ryzen 9 3950X and the Rtx 2080 Ti 11Gb GDDR6 Asus. I have the latest Adobe Premiere Pro 2020  CC V 14.0.1 Build 71. So from my understanding Mercury Playback Engine Cuda is suppsoed to be better faster then software only but i'm literally getting the opposite. I set it to Software only it's WAAY faster then Cuda. The CPU goes 100% usage when software only as expected and it's great but i think maybe i could even get it faster by setting it to CUDA but i'm getting the opposite and obviously the RTX 2080 Ti is definitely a supported card for CUDA. but it's just really slow + Taskmanager shows the usage at only 1-4% max during Rendering it looks like it's not using CUDA properly so can someone explain how to fix this issue. I'm using latest nvidia drivers as well. Please let me know thanks

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be using GPU accelerated effects or be changing resolution to like going from 4k to HD and also Warp Stabilizer. So, it is simply not used all over at the moment. Mostly your GPU will not be called on much. Check this doc for more info:

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html

BTW: 14.01 is not the current version, 14.04 is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Mercury CUDA is only for editing effects smoother? It doesn't speed up the render times? Also do i need to install the Studio Driver for the CUDA to work properly because i only have the Game Driver/Graphics Driver not the studio driver i'm talking about this 1 https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156784/en-us. Can you also explain why the GPU only uses 1% when rendering previews it should be way more and in the project settings CUDA is an option meaning it's probably working and in the system compatibility report it shows no errors. My goal is to make render speeds as fast as possible i have a good CPU and a GPU. So which settings should i use for faster Render times? Or set up CUDA to work properly 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you manage to solve the problem? I have the same. ryzen 3800x + 2080 ti. Mercury Playback CUDA slower software ~ 20%. the video card is loaded at ~ 60%, the processor is at 60-90 in CUDA mode. in program mode, the processor is loaded at ~ 94%, the project is processed faster by about 20%. what's the matter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pakovalo,

It's your AMD CPU. It doesn't have hardware decoding as Intel processors do. My advice is to transcode any H.264 or HEVC formats immediately. Then your life will be a lot easier.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is ideal PC componant configuration for 6K editing?  Looks like Intel i9 is better for Adobe Premiere Pro than NVidia?  Anyone have a good build list?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of now there is no ideal component, as long as you stay away from the outdated/obsolete and/or very-low-end parts. Beginning with Premiere Pro 14.5, hardware decoding using a discrete GPU is now supported. By default, when you launch Premiere Pro, the discrete GPU is set as both the hardware decoder and the hardware encoder. This lessens the need for Intel QuickSync.

By the way, the integrated Intel UHD Graphics GPU still sucks for rendering. At best it is only about half as performant as even a cheapo Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 when using the Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration mode (OpenCL for Intel, CUDA for Nvidia).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
What is best current GPU for Premiere/AE/DaVinci in your opinion?

Elaine Trotter
editor/producer

*Invision Productions*
3210 Kerner Blvd, Ste. 304
San Rafael, CA 94901
415-328-9423 <(415)%20391-5030> etinvision@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was anyone able to find a solution to this? I'm running a 3700x and RTX 2080 and playback at even 1080p is unbearably slow... Running 32gb ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eppcMogen,

Sorry. We need way more info on your system and media.

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried?
    • Have you deleted media cache and trashed preferences?
  • Is your media on a second internal drive or connected via USB 3 to an external SSD?
    • It should be.
  • Is your CPU at Gen7 or greater?
  • Are you operating with "Satan in a Wrapper" formats like H.264 or HEVC?
    • If so, have you compensated by transcoding to ProRes or creating ProRes proxies?
    • You should do so since you don't have Intel CPUs which offer hardware decoding for these formats using Quick Sync. Editing any format will be problematic.
    • AMD CPUs do not have Quick Sync or offer hardware decoding for these formats.

Help us out with more info, so we can help.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a combination of both AMD and Adobe. You see, AMD's non-G Ryzen CPUs and Intel's HEDT CPUs do not have integrated graphics at all, and thus do not support hardware decoding at all. And Adobe currently supports only Intel's QuickSync (which only mainstream Intel CPUs with integrated graphics have) for hardware H.264 or HEVC decoding. Adobe does not currently support hardware decoding through any discrete GPU at all.

So yes, with any AMD CPU or any CPU that requires a discrete GPU just to even function at all, then you're stuck with software-only decoding for the foreseeable future.

Sorry about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not see a difference unless you apply effects that requires GPU  acceleration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video below should help explain things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines