Highlighted

Mercury renderer in Catalina

Advisor ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering why in the last few announcements to new features in Premiere that there's been no mention of improvments to the Mercury (Recommended) renderer.

On 14.3.0, I'm still getting a red bar on my timeline with some third party effects that show the yellow bar with the OpenCL (Deprecated).  And, I get far better real-time before rendering with the OpenCL renderer selected in my Project Settings.

My inquiries in other forums have produced opinions that optimizing Premiere for the OSX Metal renderer is an Adobe, not an Apple issue. 

Is Adobe even working on this?  Seems like, if past is prologue, Adobe is subject to drop OpenCL entirely before Metal is the superior renderer.

Can any of you Adobe insiders comment on this?

Since I'm kind of winging here, I would like to compliment the engineering team on making Premiere more stable.  I hardly get crashes any more.  That's a huge improvment over, say, two years ago.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mercury renderer in Catalina

Advisor ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering why in the last few announcements to new features in Premiere that there's been no mention of improvments to the Mercury (Recommended) renderer.

On 14.3.0, I'm still getting a red bar on my timeline with some third party effects that show the yellow bar with the OpenCL (Deprecated).  And, I get far better real-time before rendering with the OpenCL renderer selected in my Project Settings.

My inquiries in other forums have produced opinions that optimizing Premiere for the OSX Metal renderer is an Adobe, not an Apple issue. 

Is Adobe even working on this?  Seems like, if past is prologue, Adobe is subject to drop OpenCL entirely before Metal is the superior renderer.

Can any of you Adobe insiders comment on this?

Since I'm kind of winging here, I would like to compliment the engineering team on making Premiere more stable.  I hardly get crashes any more.  That's a huge improvment over, say, two years ago.

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple decided that OpenCL should be "deprecated" ... and wants AMD cards with Metal as the GPU format being used going forward. Which is a right pain for those with slightly older Mac gear with Nvidia cards and the lastest Mac OS. Sadly.

But that was Apple's decision and request for all vendors using their OS.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's the case, then Apple must believe that Metal is superior.  And, if that's the case, why has Adobe apparently dropped the ball on optimizing what's claimed by Apple to be a superior technology, if it's also true that Adobe has dropped the ball.

Frankly, with the new MacPro I have, rendering isn't much of an issue on my mostly short projects, and other than the yellow/red color in the timeline indicating real-time vs. needs rendering, I can't report a drastic difference between the two renderers.  I usually keep my Projects in Open CL mode to not have to look at the red timeline stripes.  But, my argument remains that, if Metal is a superior technology, and claimed by Adobe to be "Recommended," the app should reflect a superiority, which it doesn't.

A related issue I've noticed is that many of the Boris Continuum Complete and Red Giant effects and the FilmImpact transitions have been marketed as being GPU accellerated, yet none of their products show anything other than red in the timeline no matter which renderer is selected.  I don't know whether this is another Adobe issue, or one by the third-party developers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JIm ...

I didn't say Metal was "superior" ... nor would I ever infer from any company's decision to use X over Y that X was inherently superior, as all too often the reasons chosen are NOT the ones the end users would have used.

Many users report that OpenCL just works a lot easier and better than Metal. I've seen discussions about this with techies talking WAY over my head as to why the OpenCL math is supposedly ... I guess in layman terms, simpler and smoother. But others arguing that Metal allows for future-proofing of far more complex math. What the freaking ever.

Currently, I think it's unfortunate that Apple dumped OpenCL as it does for many Mac users seem to work more easily and not just with Adobe apps.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still haven't seen anybody from Adobe piping up here and acknowledging whether the company is working on better compatibility with Metal, which is inextricably tied to their and third party developer's movement towards more GPU processing.

One can infer superiority as being the antonym to "deprecate."  That's Apple's and Adobe's language, not ours.  Features and apps are only "deprecated" after a reputed superior replacement technology is introduced, or a product has reached End of Life.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speakers "on platform" in the Adobe booths at various industry events have talked about working on Metal performance, it's been mentioned in several blog articles over the last what, three years ... so I think they think they've talked about it.

Whether you or I or any other user normally sees those things in our regular working day is problematic. But Apple has been very clear ... no OpenCL is to be used going forward. And they pressure all vendors who wish to have as easy a relationship with them as possible (not always the easiest thing) ... to follow their demands.

I think many users would love (like you) to see a lot better performance. Some of the hardware I'm looking at would work well with an AMD card in general, so yea, I'd love a better Metal performance myself. I also like competition, and would love to see the AMD cards treated equally within the Adobe apps.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines