Merge Sony folder structure from two cards, so that Premiere Media Browser recognizes them

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we record with a FS7. When copying the recording cards to the PC, I want to merge the recordings of the different cards so that all recordings of a project are in one folder structure.

I tried Sony Catalyst Browse. With it I can copy individual clips and merge them into a new folder. To do this, however, you have to mark all the clips in each folder individually, which is a bit cumbersome. The bigger problem is that the DISCMETA.XML file is missing from the generated folder structure. In principle, this makes sense, because the data is no longer on a disc. However, Adobe Premiere's Media Browser will no longer recognize the structure. 

As a test I copied a DISCMETA. XML from a card to the folder structure created by Catalyst Browse. After that Premiere recognized the structure and clips correctly. Is there a bug in the Media Browser? It should recognize the structure that is created by Sony Catalyst Browse.

Is there a better procedure? Is there any software that can merge two or more Sony folder structures. I don't want to join the clips, but just make a folder structure for the different cards. I know that I can just copy the MXF files, but i.e. the XML files ensure that the correct version of H264 is used to decode the video clips, so it's really important you keep them to ensure the best possible image quality. (https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004YTYxDSAX/copy-entire-card-or-just-clips?language=...)

Thank you for your help,
Marcus

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Merge Sony folder structure from two cards, so that Premiere Media Browser recognizes them

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we record with a FS7. When copying the recording cards to the PC, I want to merge the recordings of the different cards so that all recordings of a project are in one folder structure.

I tried Sony Catalyst Browse. With it I can copy individual clips and merge them into a new folder. To do this, however, you have to mark all the clips in each folder individually, which is a bit cumbersome. The bigger problem is that the DISCMETA.XML file is missing from the generated folder structure. In principle, this makes sense, because the data is no longer on a disc. However, Adobe Premiere's Media Browser will no longer recognize the structure. 

As a test I copied a DISCMETA. XML from a card to the folder structure created by Catalyst Browse. After that Premiere recognized the structure and clips correctly. Is there a bug in the Media Browser? It should recognize the structure that is created by Sony Catalyst Browse.

Is there a better procedure? Is there any software that can merge two or more Sony folder structures. I don't want to join the clips, but just make a folder structure for the different cards. I know that I can just copy the MXF files, but i.e. the XML files ensure that the correct version of H264 is used to decode the video clips, so it's really important you keep them to ensure the best possible image quality. (https://us.community.sony.com/s/question/0D50B00004YTYxDSAX/copy-entire-card-or-just-clips?language=...)

Thank you for your help,
Marcus

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't think this is a good idea as you will probably lose metadata.  I simply create a folder called "camera original" and then create subfolders for each date and camera card.  for example:  projectname/camera original/4_15_20/Card1.  

Not sure of your level of expertise, but I'll say it anyway:  "never use slashes (or other reserved characters like *) in a file name or path...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2020 0
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, you can do a folder for each card. It just makes the navigation harder. Having all files of a project in one folder also allows a quick check for the completeness of all clips. The numbers must be consequetive.
You will only loose metadata if the folders are not merged properly. The XML files just need to be updated correctly. As I said Sony Catalyst Browse handles this correctly. It is just Premiere that doesn't recognize the structure, because it requires the DISCMETA. XML.
I was hoping there exists a third party tool that can just take two folders and merge them. (Sony even had one for XDCAM).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0