• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error

Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to the latest version of the Premiere Pro last week, everytime I am closing the project I now get a "Metadata. Metadata writing in progress (n files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want to quit? Yes/No" error window. Please see a screenshoot attached for one of such errors.

What is interesting, is that no matter how much time i give it the process is never complete.Metadataeroor.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing happens, it works fine. However it gives me these errors on certain projects. I suspect that it has something to do with RED footage since after the update, Premiere started to give me these errors as well as corrupted file errors on some of the RED clips. It is certainly possible that the RED clips do contain write errors and that caused Premiere to lock up and fail to write metadata, furthermore, such files would cause havoc for Premiere if it were trying to read corrupted RED preview files in the media browser.

I spent an entire week converting each RED clip on a particular project into 4444ProRes format to prevent further data degradation. I hope this has stopped the bleeding. It seemed to get worse as the weeks passed by.

But in regards to the metadata error as mentioned in this thread, Premiere gives this error on some files and no error messages on other files. The only suspect would be RED video preview data. Anyone getting errors with RED files here?

VT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you go into your Media Cache Directory and select all to manually delete and then open one of those projects?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, I am trying to reproduce the phenomenon, but to no avail. When the error occurs again, I stop what I am doing and post it here. Meanwhile, I must finish this project..due today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did this:

Edit -> Preferences -> Media

uncheck: Write XMP ID to Files on Import

restart Premiere, and no more this warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2012 Oct 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI.

I experienced the same: I upgraded from CS5 to CS6 a fortnigh ago and tried some random projects to open. All was fine than.

Today I started to edit on a project (in the mean time, Premiere and whole CC was updated several times) I experienced SAME "metadata pending" issue.
This was regardless if I openend CS5 created project or create new one to test. I do use Cineform too. In another project I've got "pending" message even when I tried to export via Media Encoder.

Pressing NO at the dialog, HAD consequences: Every time I re-opened same project, Premiere recreated media cache for some files (not all). I have 252 files in project, 30 files was pending: It recreated that much media cache files everytime (and multiplying them in mediacache folder). After I deleted all media cache, premiere recreated them and different number of "pending" was shown (12 in this case). After hitting NO and reopening Premiere, media cache was rebuilt for exactly 12 files (now, 264 files in media cache folder).

Workaround with "unticking" XMP ID write uppon import, helped. Premiere recreates media cache and closes normaly. Uppon reopen, it does not recreate cache files any more.

But this issue can be 100% repeated. If I tick XMP ID again, it will behave the same again and again found 12 files pending. Since I do not know what that XMP is doing I reckon I don't need it. But I doubt it was designed to work like that or to be designed with no meaning at all. I did not use dynamic link before but I would like in the future. I hope there will be solution for this, or I will be able to do dynamic links anyway?

Regards to all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue.  i figured it might be a ram issue cause my sequence was getting massive.  I thought if i forced it to clear ram in a different way it might get over the issue.

i saved,

then created a new project. (didn't do anything with it)

then exited no problem, no error message.

deleted dummy project.

worked for me,  anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 23, 2012 Oct 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my own experince the issue can't be recreated. It's totally random for the most part. It hasn't happened to me in about 2 weeks and my work flow is basically exactly the same thing over and over again. Day in and day out so it appears to be a totally random issue. (In my case at least) Anyways though it has happened to me inside extrmely small projects so I don't think it's related to large projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It's work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my audio WAV files were destroyed by this error. Does anyobody know how to fix this?

error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI josurf15999.

Your audio FILES are most likely NOT destroyed. Listen them from HDD/SSD using Windows explorer.
But in Premiere AUDIO CACHE get screwed. Maybe waveform is not showing, maybe audio is not playing (al the time, or at all), maybe audio have bits from other tack shatteren randomly...

Very likely solution will be to delete media cache files and let Premiere create new ones. This happens more if Premiere was crashed, or when a lot of external modification is done to already cached files. Find out WHERE Premiere stores them.

How to delete media cache files: Go to EDIT > PREFERENCES > MEDIA and see what folder is set. Close Premiere, go to that folder and delete everything. I have media cache files on a SSD, because they are small and Premiere depend on them a lot when scrubbing. It speeds up audio conforming/indexing/peaking files significantly. Ma first 32GB SSD was bought just for that reason. Do not have everything on System folder. C partition could get filled up, caousing another pile of problems.

Try out and report if it helps.

Regards, MIHAEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this did not help. I deleted all the files in that folder and waited for Premiere to reconstruct new files but it did not fix the problem. Any more ideas? At this point I'm willing to try anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok josurf15999.

As it seems you have WAV file on timeline. Is this ST-000.WAV plays from explorer? Is this file OFFLINE if you look at it among other files in premiere project (files windows)? You can see that if you right-click on file (on timeline) and choose "reveal in project". That will place highlight on file in project. You can see if it is online or not. On that file you can right-click again and choose "reveal in explorer". It will open windows explorer and point to that file. If it's there it must play in windows media player (or any other). If does not play, problem is in source file.

Please tell more, detailed, to enable me giving some more hints.

Regards

MIHAEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help Mihael but unfortunately this method didn't work either.

It is definitely online. I did the reveal in explorer and it plays in windows media player. The actual audio files are fine in that I can pull the original audio files from the project side panel into the sequence and it will be fine and play perfectly but for some reason this particular sequence as it is has the audio files muted.

I am running Adobe Premiere CS6.03 which is the most current update I believe. I am running Windows 7 64bit with 16GB RAM 3.60 GHz quad core. Originaly when I tried to save my project I got the error "Metadata writing in progress (2 files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want ot quit? "   I waited 30 minutes but nothing changed. So I just accepted and exited. Then when I reopened the project all the sound looked like this.

This is frustrating because I spent so much time putting all the sound files together. It would take forever to redo it. Here's a screenshot of when I click on it:

error2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Thank you so much, that worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you found solution.

Thanks to Jim Simon for pointing to the solution, which even I could need someday.

regards,

MIHAEL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2016 Aug 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here it is August of 2016 with CC PPro version 2015.4 (v10.4 (30), Good Buddy) and the problem has resurfaced. For the first time ever, but since upgrading to this version, I'm getting the "Metadata writing in progress (n files pending)..." warning dialog on exiting PPro even when the project file has been saved a few seconds prior. It doesn't appear if the project file is simply closed first. So it happens when there is no active/open project file as well, but not if a file was never opened. Also, upon exit, when I go to restart PPro, it won't run (i.e., the splash screen never appears). I have to go to Task Manager and kill the PPro process first. It appears that a PPro thread remains running in the background on application exit, and blocks any attempt to restart it. Anyone else seeing either of these effects?  My rig is a Windows 10 64 bit machine with 32 GB DRAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 07, 2016 Sep 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - I have it as well,

I can restart and reopen the project and work in the project., I don;t know what triggers it - but its

If I exit then the 2nd time It doesn't happen, I guess PPro has to be up and running for some time for this to happen.

Can someone from Adobe comment ?

Are there any more "me too"s ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2019 Mar 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess I can't reply to last post but only the original.  Here it is 2019 and the error is resurfacing again, first recognized in 2012, then 2016 now in 2019.  And question is NOT ANSWERED.  Guess posting in forums doesn't really help much.  Where does Adobe post solutions for existing problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

April 2020 and I'm getting the error. Premiere Pro 14.0 Magician.

Adobe is truly horrible. Monthly fee, buggy software. Please God, let Adobe go bankrupt due to coronahoax.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Middle of August, I get this too now. Fresh install. Meta cache on SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I "fixed" it.

Went to File - Project Manager, then Calculate in the bottom left. Dont know why, but then I got to exit Premiere without any issue. Project seems fine when opening again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know. I gave up and tried clicking "yes" to exit anyway (I made a copy of the project to be safe), and everything seems fine at a glance, except my clip markers are gone, probably because I unchecked the clip marker box in Edit>Preferences>Media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup - i'm getting it after updating to v14.3.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines