• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata writing in progress (n files pending).... error

Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2012 Sep 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to the latest version of the Premiere Pro last week, everytime I am closing the project I now get a "Metadata. Metadata writing in progress (n files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want to quit? Yes/No" error window. Please see a screenshoot attached for one of such errors.

What is interesting, is that no matter how much time i give it the process is never complete.Metadataeroor.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2012 Sep 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto here.  We have multiple Windows machines and are getting the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On an HP Z820 running 6.02. Never have seen that screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, I receive errors in my Events log concerning files that were working correctly before the 6.0.2 update.

Adobe Premiere 6.0.2 Metadata Errors.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been having this error non-stop during the last couple of days, it started happening almost right after my 6.0.2 update. I'll post screenies of it tommorow. I wasn't really sure if it's a bug or something else wierd going although I'm starting to believe it's most likely a a bug. My system is also Windows 7 64-bit here are the specs of my work system where I've been having the issue.

Intel 2500k

16Gb DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz

240Gb SSD OS drive

Nvidia GTX 570 GPU (MSI)

Then I have several other HDD's one that is a RAID-5 but that info shouldn't really be causing any issues. (At least I think)

Honestly though in my experince the bug hasn't really caused any actual problems for me, although I am curious as to why it happens. It's really just more annoying than anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the picture I said I would post awhile back, I hadn't seen the error occur in a couple weeks until today. Anyways here it is.

pending error.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on OSX Lion and it also started to happen to me after the update. This is not an OS based issue. It is an Adobe Premiere issue. I hope it gets fixed soon on their part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2012 Sep 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seeing it here too. My "system" is really just my college laptop but was definitely excited about 6.0.2 due to GT 650M Mercury support (finally!)

Win 7 64-bit

i7 3610QM

8Gb DDR3 RAM 1333 Mhz

750 Gb hybrid drive (Seagate Momentus XT)

nVidia GT 650M Kepler as mentioned

Is it problematic to close the file anyway? I gave it maybe 2 hours and still no change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I can tell it doesn't actually cause any issues, it has popped up for me about 10 times in the last 3-4 days. At first it worried me but I've closed several times even though it said "progress will be lost" and I haven't ever suffered any consequences.

I reported it as a bug today, I'd suggest everyone else do so as well so hopefully it can be fixed, the problem is though I can't reproduce it consistently. It seems to happen randomly.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That what I thought but there seem to be an issue if you try to export an XML. Although it might be just a coincidence but I have a project now that reports an 11 files having their metadata being written and when I try to conform an XML of a project in DaVinci resolve I get an error mentioning 11 files having the timecode extents issues.

Not sure if it is connected or just a coincidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have haven't exported anything as a XML in around a month, so it's very possible it might cause issues with that. I just wouldn't have experienced them yet since I don't do this very often, I basically only do it when I'm working with a FCP user.

It does make since though that it would show that type of error message since the problem seems to be related to .xmp's which can hold that type of info. I'm assuming if you're not using your .XMP's for anything then the error that occurs doesn't actually hurt anything. The strange thing is though I haven't been getting the error all day... (Hopefully it will go away although I doubt it)  In the past I would get the error about 50 percent of the time when I would go to close my projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Edit>Preferences>Media and uncheck Write XMP ID to Files on Import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have asked you earlier, please do not comment on my questions and posts if you have not experienced the problem personally and have not found an actual solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we have another moderator now 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have asked you earlier

I usually don't pay attention to who's asking, only to what's being asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if Jim's suggestions don't help you personally, they may be of benefit to other users who may experience the same or similar problems. It is inappropriate for you to attempt to censor his input unless his posts violate Adobe's Terms of Use or Forum Guidelines. Even then, it is up to the moderators to deal with such situations.

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow.  What a shocker - now a trio of serial posters polluting the thread instead of of just one. How unexpected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dkitsov - "Oh wow.  What a shocker - now a trio of serial posters polluting the thread instead of of just one. How unexpected."

Its probably not a good idea accusing participants of polluting the thread. At the very least its kind of insulting.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another point, that probably should be made right now is that Jeff Bellune is one of the MOD's of this forum, plus a valued contributor.

What Jeff is pointing out is that there are basically three "lives" for a forum thread:

1. A poster poses a question, or lists a problem, and other users (occasionally an Adobe employee) respond.
  2. Subscribers with a similar problem, will ideally use Search, to find threads, that might apply to their problem, and hopefully a solution.
  3. Subscribers pick and choose threads to read, based on their interest, or to expand their knowledge, though they might not have a problem.

At the end of the day, Jeff decides what stays, and what goes.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2022 Apr 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if this were to solve the problem, what would be the drawback of having that feature disabled? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dkitsov wrote:

After updating to the latest version of the Premiere Pro last week, everytime I am closing the project I now get a "Metadata. Metadata writing in progress (n files pending). If you quit before writing is complete, data will be lost. Are you sure you want to quit? Yes/No" error window. Please see a screenshoot attached for one of such errors.

What is interesting, is that no matter how much time i give it the process is never complete.Metadataeroor.PNG

So the metadata writing in Premiere is fairly involved.

It tries to write metadata in the background asynchronously, but only when the file isn't being touched by something else in the application or by some other application.  What you're experiencing is potentially (I can't say for sure yet) where these 23 background metadata writing tasks never finished, or someone else never let go of the file.  If that someone else is Premiere, it is definitely a bug (which is my current guess).

Are you able to provide which file types these 23 files are, and what sort of drive/volume they're on (e.g. local/external USB/firewire/SSD/etc).

And since a number of other posters are mentioning that this started in 6.0.2 for them, is that the same for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has indeed started last week with the intro of 602. I am on windows 7.

I was thinking along the same lines as you about something not letting go of the files do I made sure that all the background tasks and things like antivirus etc are disabled. The files are .mov files of either Cineform or dnxhd flavor.

I am curious how strongly is this connected to a different bug that is not unique to .2 release but affects the 6 version since the launch. Some Clips only showing up in a timeline and not in a project window or clips not having video usage info, yet actually being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2012 Oct 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope another bit of info helps track this, I have recreated this issue three times consistently; here is what leads to it in my case:

Using Win 7 x64 Ultimate, Premiere Pro 6.0.2 (creative cloud subscription)

I am working on an edit using all CineForm HD footage (in Premiere 6.0.2).

I used the "Replace with after effects composition" command on a clip in a sequence. This, of course, then loads After Effects. Often, when I use this dynamic link feature, I find that my After Effects composition becomes complex enough that it won't play smoothly in Premiere in realtime, so I go ahead and render it from After Effects as a video and just imort that into Premiere.

Thus, I render from After Effects to a new CineForm HD encoded file.

I import the new CineForm footage into Premiere, delete the automatically imported After Effects composition and replace the AE comp in my Premiere sequence with the rendered CineForm footage.

When I close Premiere, I now have the "Metadata writing in progress..." dialog box with 1 file pending. I've repeated this process with two other clips and get the exact same result (now I have 3 files pending). I have several other dynamic linked AE comps in my sequences as well.

I'm guessing the issue is only related the CineForm video file rendered from After Effects in my case (and not the use of dynamic link / imported AE compositions), but I wanted to explain who I got it to happen.

As a random side note, my Premiere seems to post-close-crash everytime I close it. The window closes all the way, then about five seconds later, I get a report that PPro has crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 CC, installed fresh today. Same issue. Do there exist a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Oct 15, 2012 Oct 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you select File and then Save as to a new Project file in the same location before you close?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines