• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metal available to fix slow Rendering (In to Out) within a 1hour timelinen in PP14.8?

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upon completion of my work, I use Media Encoder to export; Metal works great on my older MacPro!

I can EXPORT an effects laden 1hour video in about 18-20minutes utilizing a rx580 8gb GPU.

Yet, when I try to render a 4minute clip in the timeline (no effects even on that part of the sequence) from In to Out point, it took approx 15min to turn the yellow (and then red) indicator to green.

Am I missing something, or does Premiere Pro not support  'In Application' RENDERING via Metal?  I looked at my Activity Monitor's GPU History during the In-Timeline rendreing, and very little resource was used as opposed to my taxed RAM.

Any information as to whether I can use Metal to render (parts of) the Timeline is appreciated! thx

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Followed up with Adobe phone support. They confirmed that Metal (if applied in preferences) will be used within the app for rendering.  Got the straight answer that it was my anomaly of effects (audio primarily) that must've lead to lag.  SO - albeit a basic question, Metal works for in-app renders and not just export modules (so I'm told).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try exporting that 4 minutes and get a more apple/apple comparison. Not everything uses GPU. Scaling does, and various effects, but search around for pp effects that support the GPU. Your footage might also be part of it. What is it, h.264, ProRes, etc... and the format of your preview files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your interest and reply.

You bring up great points. So, I checked the machine equivalent (apple-to-apple) export from Premiere and it took 8mins to generate a h264 mp4 from the sequence’s 4min rt segment. Not as long as in-app render...

In watching where it hung on the progress meter, I determined that it was spending over half the render time on audio. So that has nothing to do with my GPU!
I guess I was misleading in (“no effects”) as the audio dB was altered too via the effects panel! oops & sorry for the misinformation.

fyi~ the initial footage is Zoom generated h264 mp4s at 360p —> I’m upscaling picture to 720p for web streaming. (another effect 😐 ) And creating h264 mp4s as the deliverable (aka the end product) with a Loudness Normalization applied so as to level dialogue via the export module (also used in Media Encoder when using that app)

I’m still VERY INTERESTED if anyone from Adobe or the Community knows if GPU Acceleration (AME/Metal) is implemented when rendering within Premiere? If it is not being utilized, i’d like to motion (here, in FB Groups, and on User Voice) to incorporate that for those sorts of renders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also~ I forgot to mention the Preview files are default .mpeg  Once again, thanks for the suggestion to Apple/apple

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UserVoice is the place to make suggestions and feature request, bug reports also. All with as much detail as possible. Here's a page which discusses gpu rendering, etc..

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html

Locate other pages similarly.

So, it seems it's audio. Maybe use less or different effects on that. Adjust some of the levels manually if need be. How are you upscaling? The GPU is used for that if you've just changed the scale value. You can also try adding the loudness to the timeline rather than the Export module. Post any results you find.

Also, watch your Activity Monitor, that should give some info if the GPU is being used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

the upscaling is just being done by effects panel scale percentage.  Activity Monirtor showed some GPU activity during that stage of export.

I'll did thru the helpx pages annd look for info about Metal.

good suggestion on the loudness effect.  I thought the normalization parameters during export module are for 'leveling' audio across board for peaks and valleys... but maybe I was misunderstanding that feature ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Followed up with Adobe phone support. They confirmed that Metal (if applied in preferences) will be used within the app for rendering.  Got the straight answer that it was my anomaly of effects (audio primarily) that must've lead to lag.  SO - albeit a basic question, Metal works for in-app renders and not just export modules (so I'm told).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines