Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metal Engine always renders 8 Bit

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a MacPro 2019 (7,1) with two Vega II graphics with Premiere 14.5 on a Catalina 10.15.7

I have 10 bit video files and while working with these files I see a lot of banding on the sky.

I have tried different configs to understand the issue.

My sequence settings use Maximum Bit Depth.

When the Metal engine is ON, there is no diffrence with the OFF state at the Program Monitor.

And when I render with the Maximum Depth / 16bpc the output is same, a lot of banding.

But When I swicth my project settings to openCL. I immidiately see the difference. The sky gradient is perfect. Even if i switch off the MAximum depth in sequence settings the banding is slightly better then the Metal engine.

Check out the following images:
metal_off.jpgmetal_on.jpgopencl_off.jpgopencl_on.jpg

when I render out these clips with Maximum Depth /16 bpc the banding occurs when using Metal on the final output whereas when opencl is used output is perfect. You can check the files from the below link.

https://we.tl/t-WbSRKkbU3X

PS: When these same files checked on a PC with a 1080 graphics adapter (cuda engine). Maximum bith depth turned on there is no banding and rendered with maximum bith depth, output file is perfect. 

Seems like an AMD / Metal releated issue.

Any thoughts ?

Koray Birand

TOPICS
Export , Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be something on your system that is somehow interfering with things, or it could be as you posit, an AMD/Metal thing. Either way, it would be good to post the above on their UserVoice system so the engineers see it. This site is user-to-user peer support, that page is the portal to the engineers.

You should be able to get 10 bit files out even without the Max Depth button involved. And should see 10 bit files on your system while playing back.

For fully exported files to a 10/12 bit format/codec, what does the export show for bit depth in say MediaInfo ?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mediainfo does not show the bit depth of the file. But I can tell that this banding is a typical 8bit issue. 
mediainfo.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, for some reason on some ProRes files MediaInfo doesn't show the bit depth, which is annoying.

And no question about the banding/bit-depth problem, you showed that very clearly. I was just curious what bitdepth Pr actually processes the file to for exporting.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I have filed the problem to Uservoice system. I am going to test this on other macs now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Koray,

Do you have the original file to send over?

I could test it on my Mac M1 with Premiere Pro Beta

John

Lumix S5, Atomos Ninja V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already have a m1 with a beta as well it is fine.

The file links are in the post

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The original file with the premiere project file is below:

https://we.tl/t-aDoIkwmxIc

From project settings switch from Metal to OpenCL and again Back to Metal to see the banding ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines