Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrate project files to new pc - premiere pro

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I have to get my (unfinished/ unexported) projects to a new PC.

How can I do this. I have a windows 

PC. I am sure its more than just copy them

From C:\users\xxxxxxxxxx\adobe\premierepro\14.0\

Or is it as simple as copying them from there?

Any help would be appreciated.

It would be devastating to find out I have to do my work all over again

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Yes, it is as simple to just copy the project file/s and the media used in the project. The worst thing that can happen is if your media today is located on the D:\ and you copy the media files to let´s say E:\. When you open the project Premiere Pro will report that it cannot find the files on D:\ but just click the Locate button to point the dialog to the correct media files on E:\. This takes often just a couple of seconds.

There is no way of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never done this, but I think the project manager will let you create a folder with "everything" in the folder that you need to be able to copy to a different computer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is as simple to just copy the project file/s and the media used in the project. The worst thing that can happen is if your media today is located on the D:\ and you copy the media files to let´s say E:\. When you open the project Premiere Pro will report that it cannot find the files on D:\ but just click the Locate button to point the dialog to the correct media files on E:\. This takes often just a couple of seconds.

There is no way of damage the project by doing this. A good habit it to keep a backup of the project file in case the re-linking of the media goes wrong.

If your media files already are on C:\ there will be no need to re-link media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of COURSE it's not that simple. Please do not lie to users.

Because when this stuff works, it's fine. When it doesn't IT'S TOTAL GARBAGE. And Adobe support is NON-EXISTENT. Yes, I've been completely ignored for YEARS. That's why I won't pay them another dime.

I have a license of CS4. And I've had it running on Windows 7 for many years. Too many years.
I need to upgrade my PC, because well... Windows 7.

I build a new PC, more horse power, more memory, more GPUs, running Windows 10 Pro.   (8 Gig was a lot when I built up the Win7 machine)

I installed all of CS4 from the original CD's, so I can finally abandon the old Windows 7 machine. I can create a new project as reliably as I could on the old Windows 7 PC (which wasn't as reliable as I'd like, see my second sentence above).  And it essentially works.

I copied ALL the files from one E: drive to the other E: drive, keeping the same folder structure.  Because I knew it would want it that way.

A few of the projects would open. Most don't.

The favorite state is "not responding". And looking at the task manager, the "ImporterProcessServer.exe" and "PhotoshopServer.exe" are also in some kind of locked state.

Sometimes it comes back after 20-30 minutes, usually not.

(It's due to some bug-ridden COM interface that improperly handles errors. As a long time developer, I can see these things. And it is really annoying when sloppy programmers write crappy error handling).

One project has several timelines in it. When I opened it, after a LOOOOOOOOOOONG wait, it asked for media file "A". Which was in the identical location as on the old PC. When I selected it, it told me the dimensions were too big... IT'S THE SAME FILE THAT WORKS IN THE OTHER PC.

Then Premiere popped up a message that it experienced a critical error and had to shut down. Destroying not only the project, but also the WORKSPACE!! When I reopen Premiere ALL the child windows are gone.

Did I mention that Adobe support is NON-EXISTENT?? So, by the way, when someone recommends it... NO I AM NOT PAYING ADOBE EVEN MORE TO UPGRADE, when their support sucks.

Meantime, I can't decommission the old Windows 7 machine until I either RE-CREATE ALL MY YEARS OF WORK, or figure out how to get around this HORRIBLE DEFECTIVE issue.

Have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of COURSE it's not that simple. Please do not lie to users.

Because when this stuff works, it's fine. When it doesn't IT'S TOTAL GARBAGE.

I have a license of CS4.

By @Scotty2541

CS4 is from 2008 and the question is from 2020. Today it´s a smooth ride compared to how it was in CS4, a 15 year old software.

How did you activate CS4, the activation servers has been down for some time now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, the complete LACK of support is why I am still using CS4, and won't pay to update.

How I got it working was simple:  I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS.

I had installed CS3.  And got an upgrade to CS4.

When I installed CS4 (years ago it actually took several tries and I ended up having to BRAIN WIPE WINDOWS 7 as I recall), it asked for a key, and then gives me a cgreen check and asks for the key to the Adobe  CS3 Production.  I entered that key, and it again gave me a green check.

So, it THAT why they treated us customers CRAPPY??   Because we were using packages that didn't require online registration... so they couldn't suck us dry on a subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I first "Offlined" every media clip in the project.  Then tried to update them one at a time, starting with a short 4K clip.

No crash, but the same ridiculous tool "ImporterProcessServer.exe" just hung on it for about 5 minutes.  Then it came back to life, with the clip as "Audio only".

So I tried a new empty project, and imported that one clip.  Same results.

It does this for 4K clips from my Canon camcorder, DJI Drone, and even GoPro...

And yet... they all loaded when the same package is running on Windows 7.

Then I transcoded a clip from 4K to 4K using a thrid party tool.  No more failures... 

Except when exiting.  Then it pops up the "Premiere Crashed - please send this information to Adobe" window.  Every time.

(This is the same window I got occasionally for years and year after I installed it originally.  I diligently filled it out every time, and no one EVER followed up with a fix or support.  Have I complained about the poor support??)

So, my migration path appears to be "Use a different NLE product with better support" and "Keep the Windows 7 machine in the event the old projects need support"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, my migration path appears to be "Use a different NLE product with better support" and "Keep the Windows 7 machine in the event the old projects need support"

By @Scotty2541

Yes, the official support for CS4 ended many years ago, so using any other 64-bit video app with support is the best long term solution for you.

CS4 is a 32-bit app and was made before 4K and 64-bit apps became mainstream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines