Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MINI DV Capture after Catalina 10.15.4 Update

New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The year is 2020, and yes I am still capturing SD footage 🙂

I've been capturing my archives the past week and all was working well within Premiere, until I updated my software to macOS Catalina 10.15.4 this morning.

Any ideas on how to solve this? Please don't say I-Movie!

Thank you!

JP

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am going to say I movie or revert to previous OS

DV capture has been removed due to Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't do Mac, and this is an old note... but doesn't cost anything to click a link

$20 DV and HDV for Mac Firewire capture http://www.lifeflix.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks good, but costly. I'll probably invest the next time I'm ready to import. Just did a bunch of iMovie captures...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I think that solutions requires the OHCI Firewire controler. With the latest OS X update a lot of people have said the OS will not see the OHCI FireWire controller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathanb31699753

I have the same problem, and yes, I have had to capture my HDV (Mini DV) footage with iMovie. Pain in the butt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you capture footage on a Catalina machine? Haven't most Macs with Catalina abandoned FW?

I have a D-8 camera (SD) and a mini-DV camera (HD), and I want to archive all of that footage. Now, in Windows 10 I can use HDV Split (which I started another thread about, trying to determine if Premiere handles the .M2T format). But, if my USB- and Thunderbolt-ported 2017 iMac can somehow take in that footage, I'd love to learn how. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a FW to Thunderbolt adapter, and I have to use a "simple" software like iMovie to capture, save to folder, then import in Premiere.

I did look at that software that's been mentioned on this thread, but I haven't tried it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Is this within Catalina? The cameras I'd have to use are old and no longer recognized by the newer versions of iMovie.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The last time I used it (Catalina 10.15.6 on a MacBook Pro from 2012), it worked. Can't guarantee that it will work the next time, but I was able to communicate with my DV camera (playing DV material on tapes), and import the clips I needed. If I remember correctly, this setup did not work from my much newer iMac--so maybe it is also an "older Mac" thing (as Weirdsmobile said)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got one from 2010. Just needs a new hard drive. Might be a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe apps no longer support DV/HDV capture over Firewire in Catalina. This has to do with changes made in MacOS itself. You can still try iMovie or just plain old Quicktime Pro with your deck plugged in and see if it is recognized. 

Personally, I've repurposed an older Mac for pre-Catalina apps in case I ever need them, and that includes DV capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good idea. I have an old 2010 Macbook Pro. All it needs is a new hard drive and an install of a Mac OS version that supports iMovie 9 -- the last one I'd seen that still supports my Canon Vixia HV30. (Not sure about D-8 footage, that I also want to capture). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as the D8 camera has a working 1394 link then you are ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But... the 1394 spec, um... wasn't that for FW400? The 2010 Macbook Pro only has FW800 ports. I know of no D-8 camera that has FW800. I don't believe they do. Or, am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weirdsmobile

From what I have read the latest update for OS X has made the OS unable to detect the OHCI Firewire controller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume this is even through the use of a Thunderbolt adaptor, since the new(er) machines do not have FW at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are adapters for fw800 to fw400 (or vv).  Not that familiar with a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Thunderbolt to Firewire adpater used to work on the Mac but the adapter will not work if the OS cannot detect the OHCI Firewire controller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is why an older machine is needed. Or, a different output method from the camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines