Highlighted

Missing 2018 Project Panel Features in Premiere 2020

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the removal of Premiere 2018 from the downloadable options from Adobe, I am left having to use 2020 on a new PC. On the plus side, love having ProRes now. But there are two main reasons (which might seem petty) that I have avoided using 2019 & 2020 up to now, but they are critical for a fast workflow as a Lead AE. I figured it might be worth putting this complaint somewhere visible instead of just grumbling about it to myself everytime I launch 2020.

1. Multiple Project panels

In 2019 and forward, you cannot have a duplicate Project panel. You can have an open bin that you put in another window or rearrange, but you cannot have two project panels. Why is this? That was a super useful option for quickly navigating projects with thousands of assets at a glance. The option to view multiple project panels simultaneouly is really great, and should definitely make a reappearance in future builds.

2. Rolling Bin creation

This is another change I cannot fathom the reasoning for. In Premiere 2018, if you hotkey build a bin, you can type the name of the bin and then immediately hotkey another bin, therefore quickly building a cascading Bin structure that you can later reorganize. For time sensitive projects (and let's be real; everything in entertainment is time sensitive) it's a huge difference. The less clicks the better. But now when I try to do that in 2020, the creation of the sub-bin without first clicking away results in the name I just typed being erased and replaced with 'Bin'. Why is this? It is much faster to be able to continue building the cascade without having to click away first, and I cannot understand the choice to remove that very helpful feature.

If others have run into this issue, please let me know if you have discovered any workarounds to this. If not and others have similar frustrations, perhaps these simple but helpful abilities for workplace customization and project panel workflows can be re-added to the next patch.

TOPICS
Editing, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing 2018 Project Panel Features in Premiere 2020

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the removal of Premiere 2018 from the downloadable options from Adobe, I am left having to use 2020 on a new PC. On the plus side, love having ProRes now. But there are two main reasons (which might seem petty) that I have avoided using 2019 & 2020 up to now, but they are critical for a fast workflow as a Lead AE. I figured it might be worth putting this complaint somewhere visible instead of just grumbling about it to myself everytime I launch 2020.

1. Multiple Project panels

In 2019 and forward, you cannot have a duplicate Project panel. You can have an open bin that you put in another window or rearrange, but you cannot have two project panels. Why is this? That was a super useful option for quickly navigating projects with thousands of assets at a glance. The option to view multiple project panels simultaneouly is really great, and should definitely make a reappearance in future builds.

2. Rolling Bin creation

This is another change I cannot fathom the reasoning for. In Premiere 2018, if you hotkey build a bin, you can type the name of the bin and then immediately hotkey another bin, therefore quickly building a cascading Bin structure that you can later reorganize. For time sensitive projects (and let's be real; everything in entertainment is time sensitive) it's a huge difference. The less clicks the better. But now when I try to do that in 2020, the creation of the sub-bin without first clicking away results in the name I just typed being erased and replaced with 'Bin'. Why is this? It is much faster to be able to continue building the cascade without having to click away first, and I cannot understand the choice to remove that very helpful feature.

If others have run into this issue, please let me know if you have discovered any workarounds to this. If not and others have similar frustrations, perhaps these simple but helpful abilities for workplace customization and project panel workflows can be re-added to the next patch.

TOPICS
Editing, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding item #2, after typing the bin name press the Enter key on the numeric keypad. Then press Command (Control) + B to create the sub bin.

Regarding item #1,  file a feature request:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro 

MtD

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For No. 1 ... I guess I'm missing something.

I can open a second project, it creates another Project panel in the same panel group that the current open project is in. I can simply grab that and take it anywhere else, right-click/undock to create a new floating window, the same as with any other panel in Premiere.

So ... I'm puzzled, as in 2020, I can have numerous separate project panels open at any one time. Grouped together in a panel group or in separate panel groups. But there's a better option than that, even.

In the new Productions mode, you can have tons of projects as part of the overall Production folder system. All organized within Premiere by the folder structure on-disc. And you can have numerous projects available, grab and use things from one project into others, and never worry about messing up your projects or duplicated assets and all that stuff.

Even in my one-person shop, I'm using a single Production folder to house all my 2020 projects for various clients. Slick.

Premiere Pro Productions Introduction

Using Productions in Premiere Pro

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 09, 2020 0