Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does not the premiere support mkv?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Mkv hasn't been a format used much in professional editing, though heavily used in som niche segments such as historical collections and archivists.

I've seen a couple posts here where someone said they were now able to import and work with mkv files, but I have no such media to test.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mkv hasn't been a format used much in professional editing, though heavily used in som niche segments such as historical collections and archivists.

I've seen a couple posts here where someone said they were now able to import and work with mkv files, but I have no such media to test.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make mkv in Handbrake....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now I understand

but even if mkv is not professional I think the premiere should give support since it is a professional program so it should work with every kind of file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would require more budget than the company seems willing to invest in that issue. There are many of the smaller-used formats/codecs that are very useful in certain areas but not supported within PrPro. Personally, between increasing engineering time on support for more niche formats, and increasing stability with the main used formats ... well, I hold with the second option.

Please understand ... I would be fine with mkv support in PrPro. It is a good quality format, and for some things very useful. Yet there are some far more common pro formats that have issues in certain uses or just plain troubles in PrPro. Those need sorting before adding full to my train of thought, unless mkv support takes very little attention.

Just a priorities issue.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of 7/23/2020, mkv container format is also not supported in the Adobe non-professional video editing product - Adobe Premier Elements - which is specifically geared towards hobbyists. My guess is due to a shared code base between the products.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/supported-file-formats.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now limited, undocumented support for mkv. As of PR 2018.1.1.

See this thread. Post 61 and after is where this change is discussed.

For me, audio format was one variable that would result in no import.

Re: Years and years later, and still no MKV support?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a 4K 50p H.265 mkv in Handbrake and it plays well in Pr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2019 Mar 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am abandoning Adobe.  All the videos on youtube are now MKV and yet Adobe doesn't support MKV.  What the hell do I pay a subscription for!  At least enable Media Encoder to convert the stupid thing!  Instead here I am paying a subscription fee and scrounging online like a loser looking for something that will work and subscribing to other things.  Stupid!!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All videos on YouTube are mkv?

Not a format I've heard they transcode to. Weird.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OP is probably using a downloader that makes the movies into mkv.

If one is that eager to download from YT to use in Pr, use a downloader that makes mp4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

JDownloader shows the original YouTube files. In 2022 YouTube delivers in one of these 3 containers: mp4 (H264+AAC), mkv (VP9+AAC) and webm (VP9+Opus).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines