• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modified Audio Channels in Premiere Causing Problems with AAF Turnover to Sound Designer

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently trying to turnover an AAF to a sound designer for a feature film. When I began the edit, during the syncing process, I modified all production sound clips in the media browser before I brought them into the sequences so they would be more manageable. So let's say there was a clip with 6 tracks (i.e., the mix, lavs, boom, etc.), I selected modify > audio channels, changed the CLIP CHANNEL FORMAT to "Adaptive," NUMBER OF AUDIO CLIPS to "1," and ACTIVE CHANNELS PER CLIP to "2."

I was told by the editor who showed me this technique that it wouldn't cause problems for turnover and that the sound designer would still be able to access everything from the AAF opened in ProTools. This however doesn't seem to be the case, everything but the first two channels remain hidden/missing. I have just about acquiesced to having to manually replace every clip in the film, but wanted to confirm that this is the case before committing to all that work. My sound designer had never heard of the technique before.

If I indeed must remedy this manually, are there any tips for making the process more efficient, even marginally so? My plan was to select each clip > reveal in media explorer, drag that raw clip into a new isolated bin within the project, and bring it into the timeline and line it up by hand. I did read there is a shortcut where you press "F" and it reveals the project with the same parameters/in and out points in the media bin, but I believe that will just bring me to the clips I already, potentially incorrectly, altered.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe the audition forum would be more helpful. I'm an idiot but I record stuff ( as hobbyist ) as wav files, but there is another more nice format ( broadcast wave , or BWF ) with metadata ( specially jammed time codes on slated shots for sync on real movies ) that is good to use and send to other people on your team ( sound designer etc. )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

AAF is a highly compressed 'delivery' thing for listening only... like H 264... is the finished product.. and I never heard of anyone expecting that to be something you can work on with multiple resources ( mixes and so on ).

???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines