Highlighted

Modified clips not playing back in slow motion because of proxies (SOLVED)

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some clips that were recorded at 120 FPS that I brought into Premiere. Usually I right click them, choose Modify>interpret footage and then set the frame rate to 23.976. When I did this, the audio slowed down, but the video remained at 120 FPS (and played back in "Real time"). The clip got longer on the timeline, but where the last frame of the clip was in real time it would just be a freeze frame until the end of the clip on the timeline.

SOLUTION: what I figured out was that I had made proxies of the clips at 120 FPS. For whatever reason (a bug) if you have proxies on and you modify a clip, it does not modify the proxy (the video at least ... it does modify the audio which is even more confusing). If you turn proxies off you will see the clip is in fact modified and plays in slow motion (at 23.976 FPS).

Just wanted to drop this here as it confounded me for most of the day;) 

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Modified clips not playing back in slow motion because of proxies (SOLVED)

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some clips that were recorded at 120 FPS that I brought into Premiere. Usually I right click them, choose Modify>interpret footage and then set the frame rate to 23.976. When I did this, the audio slowed down, but the video remained at 120 FPS (and played back in "Real time"). The clip got longer on the timeline, but where the last frame of the clip was in real time it would just be a freeze frame until the end of the clip on the timeline.

SOLUTION: what I figured out was that I had made proxies of the clips at 120 FPS. For whatever reason (a bug) if you have proxies on and you modify a clip, it does not modify the proxy (the video at least ... it does modify the audio which is even more confusing). If you turn proxies off you will see the clip is in fact modified and plays in slow motion (at 23.976 FPS).

Just wanted to drop this here as it confounded me for most of the day;) 

TOPICS
Error or problem, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 12, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere's proxy routine is a bit odd in places. Such as the limitations is has on interpreted time media, like yours. Technically, it's not a bug, it's the way it was designed. I've had several long discussions with engineers at NAB over this. They've got internal reasons of course ... but as a user, those don't ... "fly" too well.

It doesn't do what we expect or want it to do for time-shifted media.

There's been several workarounds 'published' over time. Like this ...

Proxies for Interpreted Clips.PNG

But it would be nice if they'd just get the proxies to play matching how the original clip is set.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ... I see what you are doing there ... thank you ... I mean obviously from a user perspective it seems like an easy fix "just code the program to also modify the proxies when you modify the source" but I know it's never that simple. It's amazing we've come this far, considering I was wrestling "dropped frames" injesting via firewire into Pinnicle Systems editing software 20 years ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 0
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting this.  Hopefully it'll help someone with the same probelm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the first issue I encountered when PP first launched Proxies. And within 5 minutes I lost the tiny bit of respect that I had for "Interpret Footage". It is a useful tool and better just to have it there in case you need it, (i.e you did a mistake with your camera seetings and looking for a quick fix) but my go to approach is to simply modify speed/duration on the timeline. This gives me more flexibility and much more control over things (somehow my head got used to calculating the percentage I need to slow down, rather than to speed up)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 1
Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Serrini,

Yea, you would think that by now we'd be able to link with options as to say how to handle audio mis-matches. There are a lot of requests in for that ... so I hope it's taken care of sometime realistically soon.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2020 1
Contributor ,
Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the workaround R Neil. I don't get why it doesn't just work - ie. encode the proxies at the original frame rate and interpret them at the same rate as the master clips. Seems like a bug to me. It would be great if Adobe just overhauled the proxy system, especially with 10bit H265 4K coming along. Give users a bit more freedom with audio etc. I have to use different templates for 8 channel audio from a camera like the FX9 and stereo audio from an A73.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 15, 2020 1