• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOGRT Files are incredibly slow

Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2021 Jan 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty good system and have no trouble in Resolve at all when doing heavy effect editing, but Premiere can't even handle 3rd Party MOGRT files for me? Simple ones work fine, but the more stylish ones don't

It becomes super slow and unresponsive after dragging them on to the timeline, it's been reported on the 'How can we improve Premiere' for over a year now but still seems to be an issue for me and other people I work with

Anyone have any hidden check box somewhere that makes this faster or any workaround?

TOPICS
Crash , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10, AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 16GB Ram, GTX1070

Although it's happening on Macs and other computers that are being used on the work system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16GB of RAM would leave that system on the lower side for Premiere's more recent builds. And of course, how many gigs the 1070 has would also be a factor.

For work with mogrts with many "cool" motions and controls, those would really need to be higher.

As to Premiere/Resolve ... that can vary so much. And really, all these apps are only tools ... fancy hammers. Use the hammer what gets your work out, and maybe floats your boat.

My current desktop is a 6-core/12-thread i7 with 32GB of RAM and a 1060/6-GB. On that, Premiere is more 'responsive' than Resolve, but not by a lot. On my laptop, an Acer Triton 500 with a 2080 (laptop version of course) Premiere isn't quite as responsive as on my desktop. But Resolve is pretty sluggish.

Others, like you, have the relative perfomance opposite.

In the end, again, these are all fancy hammers. I far prefer the adjustability of the Premiere UI than that of Resolve. As someone who work heavily with color, I do so appreciate the color tools of Resolve.

However ... BlackMagic of course runs a model that is built on providing free or cheap software to sell hardware. I have a Tangent Elements control surface ... an amazing bit of gear. In Premiere they encourage vendors to map the heck out of things, and not only does that work with color in Premiere, it allow me to control the mappings.

Further, I can map the audio track mixer to my knobs ... control size/position/rotation of anything on the screen from my surface. So audio, graphics, video size/position, all those things I can set to work with my panel.

In Resolve ... that Elements panel only works with a few of the color tools, and is at any time half to two-thirds dark, with most of the controls un-mapped. There's a major learning curve to puzzle out how to get through to what all you can control with the panel ... as rather than any organized menu type system, you hit X button and suddenly the whole panel changes what options it shows. But that's not the button to get back where you were, you need to just hit things to figure that out.

And as a user, I have been allowed no control. Why? Because BM wants me to buy their panels. Which unfortunately only work with Resolve. And cannot be used with anything else.

So for me, Premiere is vastly more usable over all. I do work in Resolve a fair amount for other needs I have.

They're tools. With different things they can do in sort of the same way ... or similar things in sorta different ways.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the in depth response! I've just been frustrated with Premiere this past year sadly, from multi cam bugs to random errors compiling movies which seem to fix when I just do a simple copy paste to another project, so running into these constant minor things annoys me more haha

I agree, I prefer the customisability of Premiere, it's why I keep it around still and use it for projects I want to get out quicker it does a better job with that, I did not realise 16GB Ram would be considered low now, it's been 2 years since I upgraded this PC, I'd still class it as pretty powerful but I guess times change fast with computers!

Thanks again Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

David,

I'm going to be migrating to my new computer today at the shop. I've done migration to a new computer every 3-4 years for geez ...  like 33 years now? And I HATE migrating to a new computer.

The old one is a 6 core/12-thread rig with a 1060 GPU, one installed Nvme drive, and 32GB of RAM. The new one is 24 cores, 2080Ti, and 128GB of RAM. With 2 Nvme drives on the mobo.

Yea, times are changing. My colorist friends think this is a charming, mid/low level machine. They doon't like working with less that 256 GB of RAM it seems. And that's of course for working in Resolve.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines