• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Morph cut - Analyzing in Background never completes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple headshot cutting to the same head, same everything a few seconds later.

All other transitions work find. I try morph cut and see 'Analyzing in background.' Never see sign of progress - should I see it chewing through frames somehow?

I have gone to project settings. Tried both rendering settings. One thing - When I do GPU acceleration my still frames look like garbage - example:

http://www.screencast.com/t/rPiWL6yL

Software acceleration looks fine. No idea if these items are related.

Have run through all preferences. Don't see anything that might be turned off. BTW - working with MBP 15" late 2013. Latest OS.

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
97 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now this has reared its ugly head for me, too.  Nothing seems to work.  Of course I'm on a tight schedule.  This software-as-a-service model stinks.  I miss the days of getting a boxed product that worked and wasn't being constantly "fixed" by patches that sometimes break as much as they fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU SAVED MY LIFE

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that might have made a difference in my case: The sequence settings didn't match the footage settings.  I cut out the section that I wanted to morph, pasted it into a sequence that matched the footage (XDCAM EX), and then rendered it.  Seemed to work, at least it got me through today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have continuing issues with morph cut. One thing I just noticed is that on a timeline with several morph cuts applied close to each other, when I click on the actual transition, sometimes the word "analyze" is clickable in the Effects control window, and with others it's not. It's as if PR is telling us which morph cuts it will attempt to work out and which it won't. ??

As for trying the others workarounds, I'm going to be hardheaded and wait for Adobe to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so frustrating. The problem seems to persist, even after several updates. Workarounds like nesting, trimming and joggling everything around are ok for the moment... but in the end workarounds are NOT the solution. Is petergaraway Adobe actually adressing this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just like to add my voice to the choir of: "yo, your ish ain't workin' adobe!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "correct" fix didn't work for my project. Converting the subclip into a masterclip suggested by blahbalhblah above worked. I have a newer version of Premiere, so the steps are different:

1. Right click on the subclip in the bin to get to the Edit Subclip option and change the clip to a master clip
  2. Right click on the clip in the timeline and choose Replace with Clip > From Bin
  3. After a few minutes, the effect will render and analyzing in the background will disappear. The wait time will apply again if you make any changes to the morph cut after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2019 Aug 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have never got morph cut to work once! Adobe, what in god's name is going on here? I have this problem and now none of the tools show up in the legacy titler! so frustarting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the best solution I have found for making morph cut work:

1) Download the latest free version of Davinci Resolve.  I used version 16.

2) Export your jump cut footage from Premiere in the best quality possible.

3) Import that same footage into a Resolve project.

4) Use Resolve's smooth cut feature where needed.

5) Export from Resolve in the best quality possible.

6) Import the video only on top of original Premiere footage so you can do the round-trip again with changed Premiere effects, especially if they're tied to a master clip or other global settings from nested sequence dependencies.

... and you're done -- even on nested sequences!  It's far from ideal but now I can move on to other things and actually finish my film.  Imagine that.

Adobe is obviously not serious about fixing this and many other Premiere bugs so I've started to use Resolve where needed.  I would switch my entire project to Resolve if I could but it's too big and extensively tied into Adobe's features to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this! It definitely helped. I also realized you can do the same thing with "render and replace" on just one of the clips 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the Morph Cut feature first came out, I was able to get it to work most of the time. Sure, it took a few tweaks to get good results, but I would usually get something that worked.

Over the past 2 years, however, Morph Cut takes a long, long, looooong time to analize the effect. If I have to tweak it, I have to start the process all over again. It has become a truly painful feature that worked so much better when it was first introduced. I also have frequent crashes with Morph Cut applied. Consequently, I have stopped using this once-wonderful feature altogther.

What the heck happened to this, and will it ever be fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've placed morph cuts on razor cuts in the same clip in the timeline, and sometimes it works (almost immediately), and sometimes it seems to analyze forever. When it's stuck in "analyzing" mode, process monitor (on my Windows 10 machine) tells me that Premiere is pretty much idle. I would have expected to see high CPU and/or GPU usage, but it ain't so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing seems to work!!! Ive had tech support remote into my PC and nothing seems to rectify this indefinte analyzing in background error. I've just switched computers and the error is still persisting ! This is so frustrating !!! I dont want a jump cut I want a smooth transition! Is there any other software you guys know of that I can try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow-up to  my previous comment. I got a new computer, purpose-built for video editing. (If you feel like dropping $4,000+ on a new computer, I can highly recommend Puget Systems, the folks who built it for me.) I hate to tempt fate by posting this, but I haven't had any problems with morph-cut on the new computer. My previous computer - the one that had problems with morph cut - was about 12 years old and had a number of weird problems with Premiere Pro. (It also had weird problems with a couple of different NVIDIA Quadro boards, which I've now learned aren't fully supported in Premiere Pro.) I got a total runaround from Adobe, whose tech support is totally worthless and whose engineers apparently only test things on the latest, greatest hardware. My point here is that, at some point, it's worth considering giving up the fight and just getting newer, better hardware that is actually tested by the vendor to work with the buggy Adobe software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you're working again.

Almost two years back, they started a massive project to gut & replace much of the ancient code of Premiere, with a correlated project of doing all current development in new code frameworks. Some of the older code dated back to near 2000.

That cadging together of several different generations of code led to many of the stability and performance problems of the app, plus of course made it dang difficult for the engineers to predict what X code change would produce in reality. And to track or predict how changing one "phrase" of code migh ripple through other unexpected things.

Among the lead elements of the "prime directive" I suppose you could call it of that project, was simply NO ancient code would be carried forward. And yes, that means dropping code for any kit not fully supported 'currently' by the maker of that kit. This keeps the app smaller and clearer for the engineers and hopefully not such a morass at times for the users.

It does also mean the app intentionally does not support that ancient kit anymore. Not to be mean, but in an attempt to give better performance and support to the main user base of "current" gear.

Their total crash numbers and such have gone down rather substantially since they implemented the changes. Are there still major problems for some users? Oh yea. But it was worse ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUT RIGHT BEFORE THE MORPH ON FIRST CLIP THEN RIGHT AFTER MORPH SECOND CLIP WORKED FOR ME 4K FOOTAGE

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think I may have found the issue - hopefully, this will be the same for others.

I found that the reason the effect wouldn't analyze when using Sub clips was because I still had In/Out markers in place on the original clip. I'm assuming this restricted access to the frames it needed to analyse. 

Once I remove the In/Out markers on the original footage the subclips were analysed and the effect worked.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here in 2021, almost 5 years since this was posted.

Morph Cut still does not complete analysis.  Adobe doesn't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working fine for me.

I'm cutting an interview and it's working great.

What is the duration of the morph transition?

How much different is the position of the person in the two clips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been over three years since you posted this, but this was so nice to find in 2021. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanksssss it worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey!

Since you reacted recently and managed succesfully, you might have an answer to this quick question 🙂 :What is meant with "Export to morph". Is it that you have a seperate clip and add the morph effect at the end or? Sorry I'm not an expert 🙂

Thans in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

It's an unfortunate inarticulation of their solution.  It sounds like their saying it's some sort of built in effect one should apply in the Premiere app itself. 

Nope.

They simply mean that they manually re-encoded/created two seperate files from the source footage.  They then named these two new clips something like: "first clip to morph" and "second clip to morph".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aboslutely ridiculous "solution" It truly is unbelievable that morph cut is still not working.  I mean, we had put a guy on the moon with the computing power of a calculator and adobe still cant get morph cut to work in 2022.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2022 Mar 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morph cut is working fine on my rig, for what it can do. It's a rather limited effect though, and many times users expect it to do more than it can.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate