Highlighted

Mouse or wacom for video editing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Each,

Interested to know feedback as to a mouse or a wacom for video editing?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mouse or wacom for video editing

Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Each,

Interested to know feedback as to a mouse or a wacom for video editing?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 08, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EEEK !

a mouse !

I use a microsoft mouse with left right buttons and a middle scroll wheel that can be pressed down ( like a switch ). hard wired via usb ( not wireless ) ...so MAKE SURE the mouse you buy has cable long enough.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wacom tablets are used by a lot of people in video post. Personally, I'm a lefty, my Wacom is on the left side of my keyboard, mouse on the right side. They're better at different things, really.

Most of the colorists I know use tablets, no matter whether in Resove, Baselight, whatever. In fact, some of the large "pro surfaces" control units for colorist work have had a built-in spot to hold a Wacom pad as part of the controls.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your informed reply! I've a wacom for photoshop, but will stick with a mouse for my video editing for now.

BTW, I am on mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was nice to learn, Neil. I never thought of a mouse, a panel ( like I have) PLUS a tablet as being more productive and faster. But it makes perfect sense.

Thanks.

So I guess the poster should use what they have now and add more stuff later as they feel like it... cause basically you can do EVERYTHING with any one of those tools ( peripherals ).

?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Advocate ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

p.s.

if we get more input devices it might be wise for Adobe to start marketing to the International Union of Octopusses !

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 1
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Salvo,

Some of the colorists post shots of their working setups to compare them. A number of them are of course big Resolve users with at least their micro panel, but many have either the Mini or the full $30G "big" panel. And of course, some have the Tangent gear like the Elements panel I've got.

But even the folks with the big Resolve panel will have at least one Streamdeck button-box alongside that panel. Most have between two and five Streamdecks along with their panel, Wacom, keyboard, mouse, and ... whatever.

I've got an Orbweaver Chroma gamer's button box with its 25 buttons and seven "levels" just to move some things off to it. Multi-keystroke commands especially, and "macros" that do 2/3 steps sequentially at a single button push. Or do one thing on press, another on release.

I've got some things programmed there, but realistically "only a few". I look at the guys with four Streamdecks with multiple levels in each, and wonder ... how do you do that? They say, oh ... once you get the muscle-memory down, you don't even think about it.

Wow. Ah well, to each their own, right?  😉

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding in my setup because it's fun to compare 🙂

I feel somewhat surrounded by peripherals at times.. I have:

- MX Master Bluetooth Mouse. Bluetooth works fine the majority of the time and it's got a nice ergonomic shape.

- Razer Death Adder (or something) wired mouse - to mix it up or if I want to play a game

- Wacom Tablet - for longer editing sessions and other creative work (PS, AE, C4D). Really, I don't like editing with the pen, but I've done this kind of work so much that I need to for the wrist relief. It has gotten better over time.

- Contour Shuttle Pro - you can make macros and jog/shuttle. I mostly use it for making selects in timeline for long stringouts.

As a slight aside - Premiere is really not great with customization for mice. I hope that's something that improves over time, or maybe others have tips to help with that functionality? Doesn't seem like you can bind keys to extra mouse buttons..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020 0