• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MOV file refuses to import

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a puzzler. I have a 4MB H264 encoded MOV file (attached, No-import.mov).

This file will not import into Premiere. I've tried CC2019 and the latest CC2020. I've tried this on 4 different Mac computers.

ss.png

According to the vendor who provided this file, it was created and exported from FCPX. He claims he can import this file into his Premiere. 

I was able to open this file in QuickTime7 Pro and in doing some testing, I found that if I extracted the (empty) audio track and resaved, the MOV would import into Premiere with no problem. I also found if I extracted the audio track to it's OWN file, and attempted to import just the audio track, the file fails to import. So I believe it has something to do with the audio track, though for the life of me I can't imagine what.

One final thing... If I rename this file from No-import.mov to No-import.mp4, the file imports perfectly fine. Even with the (empty) audio channel.

Does anyone else mind downloading this file and see if it let's you import into your Premiere? This issue has randomly popped up for me and my team before but this time I wanted to document it to see if we could get to the bottom of the issue. Maybe @Kevin-Monahan would be interested in seeing this as well.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on a PC(Windows 10).  I have the latest versions of Adobe Premiere and Davinci Resolve.  I am able to import the "No-import.mov."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded your file, also had no issues importing it in Premier 14.8,  there is no audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine here too. 

Win 2004, PP 14.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well than, that's even more confusing. I tried importing this into on 4 different machines, several 2013 MacPros and a 2019 iMac. None of them would let me import this file. I did just try this on a 2015 MacBook Air and it DID let me import. Unfortuantely I'm at a loss as to why why some systems will let me import, others will seemingly arbitrarily throw an error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should see what @FlyingFourFun is running, mac or pc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the oversight, I am running PC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, there it is. So, these three four PCs have used it, we need to find a Mac that can use this clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did mention I just tested my 2015 MacBook Air and Premiere on this machine DOES work. I'm wondering if it's something particular to my work environment (I did use the same enterprise Adobe build on all these machies) but it doesn't work consistently in CC2019 as well as CC2020. I could understand if one version didn't work but another did but that's not the case. 

It's also interesting that stripping the audio track from the file does let me import. As well as simply renaming the file from .MOV to .MP4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rest of the macines are on some kind of network, and configured the same?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are. But I'm not sure how the network would affect importation of files. Especially with or without an audio track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was thinking more that there is something common to your setup/machines making that not import. Not necessarily your network. Anti-virus, plugins, hardware devices, etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines