• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

move or copy a clip to another sequence

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, is it possible to move a clip from a sequence to another sequence with the script? if not can you add this feature in backlog ? also it will be so useful if you add a possibility (refer to PPRO sample panel in github) to drag and drop project items.

thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

If you have a clip in one sequence, you have all the information you'd need to duplicate that clip, in another sequence.

Also, what drag and drop are you hoping for?

Panels already support dragging _from_, but doing so is a terrible idea; PPro displays at least three different behaviors depending on where the drag ends, and the panel has no control over the behavior, nor any way of finding out what happened.

We strongly recommend avoiding drag-n-drop from a panel, and using a "check boxes next to a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a clip in one sequence, you have all the information you'd need to duplicate that clip, in another sequence.

Also, what drag and drop are you hoping for?

Panels already support dragging _from_, but doing so is a terrible idea; PPro displays at least three different behaviors depending on where the drag ends, and the panel has no control over the behavior, nor any way of finding out what happened.

We strongly recommend avoiding drag-n-drop from a panel, and using a "check boxes next to assets to select them, then click an 'Import' button" workflow, to bring in assets with maximum control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for your reply, I think you didn't get what I mean,

in premiere pro like below image there is an option in sequence timeline, when you turn on this option it will force premiere that when user drag a sequence from project panel and drop it in the timeline of another sequence, not to add sequence as a clip, so it will add sequence videoTrack clips to timeline.

so in my html5 panel i have an IMPORT button, when user clicks on it will import a project (special sequence of that project) to current project, then it will add a clip from this sequence to current user sequence in timeline, but my problem is that i don't want to add that sequence as clip, there are 4 adjustment clips in that imported sequence, I just want to move those adjustment clips to current sequence in timeline. but i didn't find any function that can move or copy a clip o from one sequence to another sequence in Premiere Pro Scripting document.

how can I do it with script? also, what do you mean dragging _from_? can you explain it? can i use that to virtualize drag and drop from project panel to timeline?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in premiere pro like below image there is an option in sequence timeline, when you turn on this option it will force premiere that when user drag a sequence from project panel and drop it in the timeline of another sequence, not to add sequence as a clip, so it will add sequence videoTrack clips to timeline.

Understood. There's no API to do anything like that.

i don't want to add that sequence as clip, there are 4 adjustment clips in that imported sequence, I just want to move those adjustment clips to current sequence in timeline.

You may be interested in some new APIs, being added in our forthcoming release.

what do you mean dragging _from_?

All drag-and-drop actions have a drag FROM (source), and a drag TO (destination). Drags that start within a panel, can have different destinations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the reply,

shall I wait for new API? can I have early access?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked that you be invited to the PPro pre-release program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can i also be part of this?

i have been trying to write a plugin which simply moves clips to other tracks, and rearranges them.

but every approach ive tried has had some weird corner cases. at first i tried export to FCPXML, modifying the clips in the raw xml, then reimporting, but importing in general was proven to have some weird behavior

then i had another sort of promising approach with qe dom, but the special FX for the clip would almost always be messed up. i got pretty deep in the rabbit hole trying to write something to copy the time based FX properly, but eventually gave up.

can you explain a bit what is in the new API? does it cover the case of just simply moving a clip (and all of its fx and stuff) from one track to another?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can i also be part of this?

I've asked that you be invited.

can you explain a bit what is in the new API?

The new API I mentioned would let you detect adjustment layers; nothing to do with moving a clip. However, other planned new APIs would enable you to create sub-sequences, which might enable the behavior for which you're asking.

What's the entire workflow, you'd like to support? [Direct might be better; b b b at adobe dot com]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! emailed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i just realized now, the spam filter prolly picked it up, copy and pasted:

perhaps a better approach for this conversation would be for me to explain my use case, and work backwards:

really all im trying to do is be able to modify the 'vertical' arrangement of video clips, without modifying any effects/timing/anything. so if theres a clip on track 6 and track 2, modify it so the clips are now on track 1 and 2

is such a thing possible with the current API? or planned API?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not today, and we have no such plans; you're the first to request that.

Can you describe the whole workflow you'd like to support, from the user's perspective? Why would moving just-the-video from Track 6 to Track 1 be important/interesting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use case is pretty specific for me:  i create stuff with *tons* of different clips. i am used to just creating a track, putting clips in. after a few hours in the zone i have something with like 50 tracks, but at any given time only a few simultaenous clips

i created a simple plugin to clean it up. basically similar to a code editors 'auto-format'. moves all the clips to the minimum number of required tracks and deletes the empty ones

it works kinda, but theres all sorts of bugs with the fx and stuff. maybe i am just implementing it from the wrong approach?

-------

is there any way to implement moving the clip across tracks, using anything in current API or qe.dom?   how you would approach it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no good way to bring across effects and such, without iterating over every.single.property associated with that trackItem; even then, there'll be some information to which you won't have access, until we implement something like trackItem.clone().

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah, ya thats actually where i stopped. i had a huge nested thing to try and copy all of properties.... i guess good to know i was at least trying the right things

i guess i have two questions:

1. is there a way to do this from editing an export/importable representation, that is not FCPXML?

2. regarding the FCPXML, i tried it and it worked. but there were always some weird importing errors that were always unrelated to what i was doing. and no errors associated with what i was doing (switching tracks).

is there a way to preprocess the outgoing xml into something super basic that wont have import errors? then fill in the rest of it with something i retain in process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. No idea.

2. Hand-modified FCP XML is always treacherous.

[unnumbered questions] There's no pre-processing of output available, but your panel is welcome to process the resultant .xml file, filling it in with whatever you like. Still, see "always treacherous" above, as well as my "There's currently no way to do that", further above...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive found that non-hand-modified FCPXML results in tons of import errors.   (this is before i even try editing it)

is there a known list of things that FCPXML import won''t work properly on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive found that non-hand-modified FCPXML results in tons of import errors.

How was that FCP XML produced?

is there a known list of things that FCPXML import won''t work properly on?

No. PPro (and the rest of our apps) support FCP XML specification 4.0, which loosely corresponds to Apple's FCP 7.0.3 release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

following up on this thread. is there the ability to move clips in the latest API?

slash is there something for trackItem.clone()?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bruce,

I didn't receive any email, did you invited me to premiere pro prerelease?

Best Regards,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines