• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving All Premiere Projects to External Hard Drive

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New to the community. I have been using Adobe Premiere Pro to create mock-up videos for a local broadcast project. Essentially, I'm creating a soundtrack for a project by taking scenes from production and importing music tracks to underscore the scenes. I've come to the conclusion (and been advised by others) that this will be more efficiently accomplished by keeping the Premiere program on my MacBook Pro (2017, running Catalina 10.15.7) and moving all of the projects to an external hard drive. My Mac's hard drive keeps filling up to the point that I can't use the program. I'm concerned about moving all of the projects and not being able to re-access them because the media files are not in the right place. Any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks!

TOPICS
Crash , Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Fortunately Adobe makes this process very easy.

Go to file/project manager and follow the steps to copy the project to a new folder on your external hard drive.

Also choose to copy files in the process. The new folder will contain the media and project. You can re-open the the project from the the new folder on your external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately Adobe makes this process very easy.

Go to file/project manager and follow the steps to copy the project to a new folder on your external hard drive.

Also choose to copy files in the process. The new folder will contain the media and project. You can re-open the the project from the the new folder on your external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent, thank you so much!

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the helpful answer; is there a way to do this globally to all projects at once, or do I have to go one by one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do be sure that your external drive is connected to a FAST port... USB2 is not fast enough for video editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the Thunderbolt 3 port be fast enough?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thunderbolt 3 will be fast enough ... however when talking about editing - the speed of the drive connected over Thunderbolt 3 is the most important factor.

The SSD built into your 2017 Macbook Pro is likely quite fast and while you ran out of space you probably never had any issues with playback.  

Ideally whatever drive you move your Premier Pro media to - also needs to be fast. A spining disk hard drive may not be fast enough. Use an external SSD drive if possible.

If you are stuck with using a spining disk hard drive for now - it will still work, but you may get some playback stutters and delays.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines