Highlighted

Moving clips and graphics

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit video by adding some graphics to overlay video.

I am finding that I can't move clips on tracks at all, or move between tracks. So if I want to add a graphic over a clip on track V1, it will drop it on the next track up. As I have a number of labels that appear sequentially, each appears on a separate track, reaching a dizzying number of tracks!  In the past, I could simple click and drag to move them to V2 or V3 or wherever there was a space. Now they will only function on completely fresh tracks.

In addition, I am finding that video tracks are locking down when I add them, and can't be re-ordered in a sequence. It's as though everything freezes once a track is added - and it HAS to be added via the Program window, whereas in previous versions, I could simply drag and drop.

This means that I have to add graphics at the end of the sequence and then expand them at the beginning and contract them at the end to get them to the proper place on the timeline.

I should add that all my tracks are unlocked - I enclose a picture of the timeline.

Help please!

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving clips and graphics

New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to edit video by adding some graphics to overlay video.

I am finding that I can't move clips on tracks at all, or move between tracks. So if I want to add a graphic over a clip on track V1, it will drop it on the next track up. As I have a number of labels that appear sequentially, each appears on a separate track, reaching a dizzying number of tracks!  In the past, I could simple click and drag to move them to V2 or V3 or wherever there was a space. Now they will only function on completely fresh tracks.

In addition, I am finding that video tracks are locking down when I add them, and can't be re-ordered in a sequence. It's as though everything freezes once a track is added - and it HAS to be added via the Program window, whereas in previous versions, I could simply drag and drop.

This means that I have to add graphics at the end of the sequence and then expand them at the beginning and contract them at the end to get them to the proper place on the timeline.

I should add that all my tracks are unlocked - I enclose a picture of the timeline.

Help please!

TOPICS
Editing, Freeze or hang, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry - here you go.

timeline problem.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you copy (or cut) the clip on V5, and turn on only V2 and paste, on which track would the clip land?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried adding things in the Graphics workspace Essential Graphics Panel in Edit mode, by clicking new item / from file? Wondering if the psd files would come in that way, and of course you could size/place them all within that one graphic track.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'll try that but it's not going to help the problems with video clips being frozen on their tracks.  How can I get them to move?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0
Ann Bens LATEST
Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont say which build you are using but could be this if you are on 14.5:

FAQ: How to solve issues related to undocked panels in Premiere Pro v14.5?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 18, 2020 0