Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.MP4 and .mov field or frame error since updating PP 2020

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

I work for a broadcast news organisation so frequently have various formats I have to whack on my timeline for evenntual broadcast in 1080 50i

Since updating PP my any 25p 50i mp4 file I download looks like it's lost a field or has the wrong frame rate. This occurs even in the preview window or if i put the same clip on the timeline. However, If I convert the exaactly same file to a 50i .mxf (any type) via Media Encoder and then import the new file into PP it's totally fine.

It's very strange it's only happening since the last update (as far as i can tell) and strange that the files look jittery even in the preview window so it's not a sequence setting thing. Any ideas?

here's a link to the same file (original mp4 and converted mxf) if it helps in any way

https://we.tl/t-LeYBlvElfx

Jimmy

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jimmy,

just tested your files in an online suite at ABC Sydney 🙂

This suite is running PP 14.6 and both your files (MP4 & MXF) are interpreted correctly and appear almost identical.

The MP4 is correctly interpreted as upper field first and plays with fields on the timeline ands I checked on a broadcast monitor and can clearly see the fields and all looks fine.

Which version of PP are you running?

Maybe double check the MP4 is being correctly interpreted by PP as 'upper first' ... but other than that not sure.

The only thing I noticed different with the MP4 is that it's aspect ratio is HD Anamorphic 1080 (1.333).

regards

SteveG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add the above is on the PC version of Premiere Pro but I just tested on a Mac running PP 14.3.1 and did not see any issues ... though this time, not viewing on a broadcast monitor so can't absolutely check for any field issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Steve thanks so much for the reply! I actually work in 7's london bureau.

I was on 14.7, I just rolled back to 14.6 but the issue seems to remain. I've tried changing all the field settings in the Interperate footage window and a few other tricks but nothing helps. It's very strange. I don't understand why it's only happening with these file types.

Here's a link to the same clip but this time after i've exported as an .mxf via PP rather than media encoder

https://we.tl/t-eyiO9Y8HoC

You should be able to see the issue i'm seeing on that one.

The strange thing is I exported it from the preview window using the same settings as encoder (the clip hasn't even gone on a timeline) and it still looks like something is wrong with the fields

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I should add, Although it's difficult for me to tell exactly when this problem started as we get so much garbage vision from agencies the only thing I can think that's changed was the upgrade from 14.6 to .7 but now i'm also confused that rolling back hasn't fixed it

Prior to this i've never had any similar issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines