• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.mp4 files produced from Premiere Pro will not work on Samsung S9 - wrong codec?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2020 Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In brief: I have produced an .mp4 video (timelapse with no audio, in 4x5 crop so an odd shape) file using Premiere Pro. It works perfectly on PC.

When I transfer it to my Samsung S9 phone it will not work: grey screen, won't play. I tried various transfer methods.

I had this problem intermittently over the past few months: I work-around I had was to upload the .mp4 (from Premiere Pro), into Photoshop, save again as .mp4 via Export >> Render Video, and although the file size was 3-4x that worked fine on my phone. This however now produces a file which (on the phone) is not a 4x5 crop and so is useless.

From all the research I have done it seems likely one of the codecs used in the .mp4 is not supported by my phone. I have tried every setting in the Export diaglog box and without success. Different file types often won't allow the 4x5 crop so are a no-go. 

Can anyone help me find a solution or work-around? I would be most grateful!

Info:

Premiere Pro version: 14.0

Photoshop version 21.1.2

File size: 2942 x 3676 px, at 25fps

Export settings:

Annotation 2020-04-17 171422.png

Samsung S9 running Android Version 10
Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

SOLVED - Ok, now it seems obvious right? The file dimensions were too large for the android .mp4 codec... some of my (timelapse) file dimesions were >4000 x >3000 or so (images from camera turned straight into frames in video). Codec couldn't handle it.

Decreased to 1080 x 1350 and works perfectly now. Posted in case anyone has this issue in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an update: I found out that regular movie films work fine in .mp4 when transferred to mobile device. But... the timelapse files (which are 25fps / 59.97fps / 60fps .mp4 files which seem identical as far as I can tell) still do not work!

Does anyone have any ideas on anything I can try at all?! Very frustratig.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED - Ok, now it seems obvious right? The file dimensions were too large for the android .mp4 codec... some of my (timelapse) file dimesions were >4000 x >3000 or so (images from camera turned straight into frames in video). Codec couldn't handle it.

Decreased to 1080 x 1350 and works perfectly now. Posted in case anyone has this issue in future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and how do you change the file dimensions 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines