• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MP4 Video Imports Audio Only

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR camera, and I've been having some issues uploading video from it into Premiere. Currently I'm using Adobe Premiere CS4, but whenever I import the the MP4 video file, it only imports the audio but not the video.

I've looked at a variety of forums to fix this, but so far I've had no luck. I've tried changing the file extension to mov, re-downloading Quicktime, and installed other codecs, but nothing has worked. Any suggestions? Currently I'm using a PC with Windows 7.

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

I assume the camera is a quite new model, CS4 is quite old.

Could be a codec problem.

Make sure you copy the entire card before importing into Premiere.

Convert with HandBrake see if that will help.

Can you upload a short clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2016 May 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

changing the file extension to mov

Try changing them to mpg.

And on a side note dont every install codecs (unless you need a particular one like mjpeg etc) as they can realy mess up your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried changing them to mpg as well. Same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume the camera is a quite new model, CS4 is quite old.

Could be a codec problem.

Make sure you copy the entire card before importing into Premiere.

Convert with HandBrake see if that will help.

Can you upload a short clip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera is fairly new, model's just under 2 years old, but fortunately Handbrake worked. The clips upload properly when I run them through the program.

Probably will upgrade to Adobe CC soon, seems to be worth the investment. Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This not a good answer, I have to waste extra time to convert the video with HandBrake instead of Adobe to solve the problem... Or to buy a very expensive update, come on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2016 Aug 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going crazy to try and find the answer to this. I was using CS6 with my Canon T5i and it read my video files completely fine! Now that I am updated to CC it only imports my files as audio. Everyone one says, re-download QuickTime, or that PP can't read H264 but it was working before and now it won't! This is such BS, this program is expensive. I go through a lot of video, I don't have time to convert each one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2016 Aug 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clean out media cache and rename top folder the footage is in and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with a project I had open over night and just restarted Premiere and reopened my project and importing was working again.  (Note I also cleared cache before restarting, but I do not think it did anything as after cleaning I tried importing with no success)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now Im having the same problem again and clearing cache/ restarting is no longer working.  Adobe please try and find a fix for this, I am wasting so much time just trying to put video in a video editing program.  Also tried renaming top folder

EDIT:

I figured out the problem, I made a tutorial for everyone and so I can remember in a few months time.

How to fix video import bug to Premiere Pro CC 2017 timeline - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should import via the Media Browser instead of dragging from Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I tried that as well.  It was because the video track line was not selected (showed at start of video)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU DAVEYS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god. . . how stupid a problem, but thank you so much for solving this!!! It still seems like a weird issue. That is not incredibly intuitive. I think the software should "know" that an mp4 is supposed to be a video. If someone only wants the audio, they can unlink the video from audio and delete one. . . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do what davey suggested. Seriously took 5 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is actually not that but thanks for the info...just incase.

My problem is that when i upload a video file, I only get and audio of the video but not the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just rendering a video to upload to youtube for how you should REALLY be importing to Premiere as I write this.  As Ann Bens​ suggested the media browser is really the big fix.  But even how you use that has a trick to it though as dragging directly from media browser only works with some footage.

@nalitye Just to make sure this is the same problem you are having.  When you say upload a video file, do you mean to Premiere or when you upload your video file to something like youtube?  And more specifically when you try to place video files into your timeline?

EDIT:

Here is the video I just made to stop this problem from happening.  Let me know if this fixes all problems around this area.

This is a replacement for my previous video I posted as it was still not how you SHOULD be using Premiere

How to properly import audio and video to Premiere Pro - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So the way you described is how I usually do it. But with an mp4, the video does not go from the preview monitor to the timeline no matter whether it came from the browser or imported into a bin. HELPPPP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DaveysWorld Thank you. Lost hours yesterday trying to figure this out and it was just that simple click at the beginning of your video. Serious gratitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOu are the best!!!!!! thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH MY GOOD LORD YOU SAVED ME YOU VIDEO GOD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you, sir. This worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This Works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW - I never thought UI of software in CC 2020 could be such "un-friendly" - Looks like a MEGA MEGA UX bug (Why someone wants to import mp4 (video) audio only) - and if so what about some alert/clue/popup? hh and the solution is so weird.

Thanks for the solution but this is a certificate of poverty for Adobe Premier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines