• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MTS files out of sync

Contributor ,
Jan 15, 2018 Jan 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just re-opened a project I was working on last week. Suddenly all the MTS audio is out of sync.

I previously exported the timelines and they were in sync. I haven't changed anything in my configuration.

CC 2018 Mac OSX10.13.2

There have been numerous posts about this issue. When is it going to be corrected?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Try this:

1) Clearing media cache will NOT fix this issue fully. Some of you may have good luck, but not me on Win10 latest version.

2) Easiest and quickest workaround (after much too much research) is to:

a) open or re-install premiere pro CC2017 by launching CC app, using the down arrow and selecting "Other Versions" and choose cc2017 and wait for install. It will install pp2017 and media encoder 2017.

b) If you've been working in cc2018 and suddenly your files are out of sync, do not despair. Fro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

1) Clearing media cache will NOT fix this issue fully. Some of you may have good luck, but not me on Win10 latest version.

2) Easiest and quickest workaround (after much too much research) is to:

a) open or re-install premiere pro CC2017 by launching CC app, using the down arrow and selecting "Other Versions" and choose cc2017 and wait for install. It will install pp2017 and media encoder 2017.

b) If you've been working in cc2018 and suddenly your files are out of sync, do not despair. From you CC2018 file, export to Final Cut Pro XML (File|Export|Final Cut Pro XML)

c) Open cc2017 and open this xml file. Check your sequences and they should be in sync.

NOTE: You'll probably loose all that new, cool functionality from cc2018, but hey, at least you don't have to go back re-cut ALL your work.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution with the  mts audio out of sync with video issue?
I have edited and generated 20 mpg4 files based on the MTS before I discovered that the audio was out of sync. Very frustrating. I use version 2021 of premiere elements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is the premiere pro forum.  Might try posting in the premiere elements forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry and thanks! Now I have posted it on Elements forum 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I spend 3 hours in trying again to use 2018CC but it stil doesn't work. Every MTS file I open is about 18 seconds out of sync. Tried cleaning, deleting cache, uninstall quicktime and CC2018, latest drivers, new install but nothing works properly. Next time I will try to import folder structure but I don't have copies of older folder structures so I cannot try that for old projects. Very annoying but 2017 CC is still OK as bypass (exept for the dolby codec problem that you get in CC 2017 when you install CC 2018). Disappointing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adobe for still not having this problem fixed. Something like this breaks your neck when you work under deadline pressure for clients. Who pays me for the hours of trouble shooting?

It's poor that you don't even react to all these posts here. This problem is existing for one year now and you still did not fix it. That's just ignorant regarding your paying customers.

I'll quit my Adobe account and go back to Avid for the next projects. I love Premiere, but what's a software worth if you cannot rely on it?!

Greetz

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem by importing the .MTS files into iMovie (Apple) where everything is sync. Then I exported the clips as ProRes 422 QuickTimes which I can use now in Premiere.

MediaEncoder and Premiere itself didn't work for the conversion.

Isn't it somehow embarrassing that iMovie outsmarts Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MTS files should work OK in the most recent versions of the OS as the issue has largely to do with Dolby audio attached to the video file, which is no longer supported in earlier version of both WIN and macOS.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 years later and Adobe still isn't compatible with widely used video formats. I don't think this is an issue with Win or macOS since Win and macOS play the files fine. The only thing that can't play a mts file correctly is Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 29, 2019 Jan 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just opened an older project that had MTS files, and the issue still exists. I imagine that it's less $$$ for Adobe to simply wait until MTS files aren't being used much any longer than to actually fix the problem.

And no, deleting the cache doesn't work - never did, never will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MTS files need to be ingested with their entire folders of info also imported alongside the files using the Media Browser. Another possible issue is that these files will no longer work in WIN 7 or order versions of macOS. You need to be working with current versions of the OS, sebrame.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, but the original camera folder structure is indeed intact, and they were imported via Media Browser on Windows 10, so by all accounts, they should work. Only...they don't.

The only way to use these files is to slide the audio 5 frames, which I've gotten used to. Strange that recent files(past 2 years or so) from the very same camera work fine.

Luckily, as time passes, I need to use these files less often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks - why do they need to ingested in their folder structure/ with metadata? Can you explain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m seriously just cancelling my Adobe subscription and purchasing stand-alone programs. It’s not worth it if the Media Converter never renders anything in Sync, I have to jump through hoops to keep my audio from on track during editing, and programs can’t run more than one edit a day without crashing (yes, my system is up to date and hardware is beyond what’s required for the load).

There isn't any interest in user experience as far as I can tell. I think the company’s position is to expect that name recognition and branding will continue to encourage users to find “workarounds” so they can say they use “Adobe...gasp”.

I just want to use something that works. Time is money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Faith,

Sorry for your experience. What kind of camera are you using? Does it make files that reside in a series of folders? If so, can you try a brand new project, and ingest (import) the media from the Media Browser and not File > Import? You may be missing crucial metadata that may be causing your issue. Let us know if that test works for you.

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with a project I created in 2014. I brought it back and SOME of the MTS files (interview clips) are out of sync by 17 frames. These interviews are part of a 30+ minute mini-documentary. The clips themselves have volume enveloping all over the place That means if I slip the audio back 17 frames to correct for the offset then my envelopes also get out sync. So the envelopes have to be cut and re-pasted back in for EACH CLIP. This is going to take hours and hours to correct!

I did originally import just the MTS files and not through the media browser. But, back then,  there were no sync issues. The original folder structures are long gone I am sure so it's not an option to go back to them.

This is SO frustrating. It's been a problem for years. Since 2015 at least. I've experienced it on other projects / versions of Premiere as well.

I am going to attempt to transcode the problematic footage in Media Encoder to ProRes and if that doesn't work I will have to look for some other encoding solution. Suggestions are welcomed.

One thing to add. These clips were shot on a Sony FS-100. It seems that the sync problem only happens with clips where the camera recorded more than 17 minutes. At the point the camera forces a file break if you keep recording. Only these "split" files are the ones that have audio sync issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, first time poster 🙂 

Objectives:

I think this might be the best thread for my questions.  My brain is full from a couple hours of searching and testing.  I barely know terms or abbreviations.  It seems the info I've come across was either old, without final resolutions or maybe there were resolutions but I couldn't tell from all the technical jargon.

I write, play and record music for which I would like to make music vids.  I also have another interest where I would like to create a YouTube channel and lastly, I'd like to be able to someday organize old digital home vids, editing them.  Ok, I guess this is lastly 🙂  I have a large collection of War DVD's I would like to convert to digital like the rest of my movies.

Equipment:

I'm using a Sony HDR-PJ710V HandyCam with surround sound or, a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 to record the vids.  I'm using Cubase Pro 10.5 to create music or other audio.  I have two laptops 1) Dell Alienware 15, Win 10 Home version 2) Purfect Audio-Studiocat (custom built) with Win 10 Pro.  I'm using Adobe Premier Pro 2019 v13.1 and Adobe Media Encoder CC 2019 Build 39.

Vid Specs:

The HandyCam produces .MPG and .MTS vids and I believe the Note 9 ar .MP4's.  Reminder the HandyCam has surround sound, which I'd very much like to keep.

My Project:

I recorded myself playing drums, using the Handycam which resulted in 2 .MTS files.  It sounds like there was probably info in folders on the Handycam's SD cards which I should have copied from the camera when I saved my vids.  As it is, I have only ever saved the .MTS or .MPG files.

The Note 9 has a 5 minute recording limit for HD vids, after which it will stop recording and you have to physically press record again.  The only way to "fix" that, I think, is to root the phone.

While I recorded me playing the song, I was using Cubase to record the electronic drum MIDI notes which, in turn, gave me a stereo audio file I thought I would be using as the "real" audio for the music vid.  I had previously recorded the song I was playing as a stereo file within Cubase and exported it as well, not sure if I would need it.

In Adobe Premiere Pro 2019 (APP19), I first brough the two .MTS files into the lower left part of the project.  Then, I highlighted teh .MTS and dragged them to the lower right (where you see "tracks" for audio and video).  When I played from the end of MTS 1 through the beginning of MTS 2, I believe there was a click but for sure the MTS2 audio and video no longer synced.  I tested, working backwards to where I found, in a new project, the MTS2 file was out-of-sync.  I believe this is because of the other Handycam data I have never saved, but I'm not sure?

After more research, it sounded like I needed to "ingest" the .MTS 2 and convert it to .MP4.  I used Adobe Media Encoder (AME), using the ingest preset of Match Source H.264.  Reading above, it seems the H.264 may be part of the issue and use the AME may be another part of the issue.  Either way, the MTS 2 was still out-of-sync. 

Is there a somewhat simple lehman's version process of how to convert MTS files to something APP19 could use while keeping audio and video in sync?

There is then a second issue.  During testing, I dragged the MTS 1 file from the bottom left to the bottom right of APP19.  I then did the same for the MTS 2 file.  When the first file was dragged to the right and the mouse button was still being held, it seemed the file was going to be split to two "tracks".  I would presume audio and video, but since it's 5.1 surround sound, I would have expected more "tracks".  That's probably a question for later.

When I dragged the MTS 2 file to the right, while the left mouse button was still pressed, it seemed no matter where I would drag it, it would only use one "track".  When I let go of the mouse, it seemed it created an audio track only.  This is especially strange because during research, I saw several issues of MTS files having no audio, but I didn't see any about having only audio. 

What was I doing wrong withthe MTS 2 file as to why it would only be placed on one track for only audio?

I'm going through tutorials for APP19 to learn the software but being stuck on basically the first step of just adding raw vids leaves me a bit stuck learning the program.

Are there any good sources of tutorials or just good training?

Thank you so much for any help you might be able to provide!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been struggling with this issue as well.  Every week I produce a video largely shot in .MTS files.  Right now, I am running all the files through Handbrake with the "Align A/V start" option checked.  This seems to work; my problem is that this takes a lot of time as Handbrake is very resource intensive and is a fairly slow process.

Is there a workaround where I can import the .MTS files directly into Premiere and keep the audio and video synced?   I am running Premiere Pro CC 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried about 4+ methods to sync the sound but they haven't worked.  The longer the video goes, the more out of sync it gets.  Did you find any resolutions?  I can't imagine we're the only ones with this issue given the other methods people have posted to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If "longer the video goes, the more out of sync it gets", then most likely your video is of a variable frame rate (right - click on your video in the project panel, choose Properties, and check if this is the case). If so, you have to convert into constant frame rate before importing it into Premiere Pro, you can use HandBrake to do the conversion (free software)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were right.  I followed the steps in the below link to convert to constant frame rates but my video no longer takes up the whole screen.  Instead, my video is square-shaped in the center of the screen with black around all edges.  I'm not sure why this is happening or how to fix it.  There must be a setting to change in Handbrake?

https://ustudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047492411-Converting-Video-from-Variable-to-Constan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Actually, the new constant frame video plays normally in Win 10 player but when I brought it into Adobe P. it became the square in the center.  So, maybe I accidentally clicked something in Adobe?  Also, going through Handbrake seems to lower the quality, which is very disappointing besides having to go through Handbrake to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the square part, check if the pixel aspect ratios of your file and the sequence are the same. For the quality be sure to use a bitrate that is higher than 8500 in the Video tab, try 25000 (or even higher) and see if it works better for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tx for the help!  I learned I needed to change the Handbrake resolution to match my source and use 28000 bitrate and I get great results.  For the aspect ratio, I started with a fresh project and didn't have the issue.  I compared the two projects sequence settings and changed them to the new project settings and I think I'm good to go now.  Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines