• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MTS Import Error: The file has an unsupported compression type.

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Premiere Pro v14.8

I have MTS files filmed in 1080 at 24p on my Sony FS700 camera.  

Anytime I try to import the .MTS file I get the "The file has an unsupported compression type."

I tried all the options in this post from Adobe: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/troubleshoot-MTS-files.html

1) Clear Cache - Done

2) Change location of files - Done

3) Full License - Done

4) Change file name of "AdobeInstalledCodecs" - Done

5) Uninstall/Reinstall Premiere Pro - Done

So has Adobe completely removed support for MTS & h.264 formats/codecs?

If so, we need to know why and the best way to work around the issue. Converting to mp4 creates a large loss in file quality so that is unnacceptable. If I'm missing something it'd be great to know!

Thanks

Shawn

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An additional note, this file type has been working for me for the past 8+ years of video editing. 

Thanks
Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer Specs: 
• Dell Precision 7710

• Intel i7-6920HQ @ 2.9GHz
• 64 GB RAM

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

• Nvidia Quadro M5000M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Converting to mp4 creates a large loss in file quality" , to avoid loss of quality you should use rewrap/remux instead if transcoding. This can be done via ffmpeg utility. Here is my pack of batch scripts that do that and many other things:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Andr88T403SpgRL5G8nDA5pXK_Vf?e=dwpceJ

(try "Rewrap (Remux) into [ .mov]" or, if that won't work try this: "Convert Audio to WAVE.bat")

Another option is to use Shutter Encoder, which is just a frontend for ffmpeg:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Shutter-Encoder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Basil! I'll look into these options. 

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Are all of your FS700 MTS files being rejected?
  • Have you tried using the media browser in Pr to import?
  • Do you have MTS files from other sources that you could try to import?

Finally, please embed your screenshots so we don't have to download unknown files. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Yes

2) No, I usually right click and hit import. 

2/8 - Using media browser started importing files that the other methods would not ( I do not know why)

2/8 - Got 80% of my footage in and am able to isolate the rest of the files and work on them. 

3) Yes

Worked out a solution. So for the 20% of files that wouldn't transfer to premiere pro, all I did to get them to transfer in was not rename them, which makes no sense to me at this point.  I've never had a problem with this workflow before.
1) Import to Comp
2) Adobe Bridge Batch Rename
3) Import to Premiere Pro

For whatever reason, step 2 is giving Premiere Pro a reason to not import. Any clarity would be much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't know if it can be considered insight, but I recommend you import your footage to the computer and maintain the exact same folder structure that was on the memory card (including individual file names) inside of the top-level folder before you import to Pr. I think you'll be fine naming the top-level folder whatever you want. 
My guess is that similar to M2TS files in a Blu-ray Disc, the MTS files from your camera reference other files that are contained within the original folder structure. So if Pr asks a new file, "what are you?", and the file says "I don't know, I can't find my name tag.", Pr may say it doesn't know, either, and refuse to import. 
Additionally, the Media Browser is specifically designed to interpret camera folder structures while the Import dialog is not. 
What do you think of doing the clip renaming in Pr after import? Would that damage your workflow? Pr will keep track of the real/original file names behind the scenes while you work with more friendly names. 
Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines