Multi-channel audio / Canon C70 sequence mismatch causes crash

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I just figured out an issue that makes PP crash, and has had me tearing my hair out for days. Posting it here in case it helps someone.

The issue seems to be with putting clips with multi-channel audio into a sequence that was created stereo -- that is, the "Mix" track in the sequence is stereo. I initially set the individual audio tracks to "Standard".

 

When dropping clips from the Canon C70 into the sequence, PP automatically creates a new track which I believe is adaptive/2-channel -- there's a little "2" in the track control panel. The sequence "Mix" track is still stereo.

 

All this seems OK, and all is well for a while; but after several sessions of editing, it crashes, and gives me the "Sorry, an error occurred" / send error report dialog box.

 

Once this has happened, the project is ruined -- now every time I open it, I just have to click the timeline a couple of times and it crashes. I can rewind to an old version of the project file, and painstakingly re-create all the edits I just lost, but sooner or later it starts crashing again.

 

The fix seems to be to re-create every sequence with the audio format set to "Multichannel / 4", and the tracks set to "adaptive". Then rebuild all my edits in these new sequences *without* clicking on any of the C70 clips in the original sequences. Since doing this, my project seems fine.

 

It seems to be specific to the Canon C70. I've been editing for over a year with footage from a Sony PXW-X70, which also has 4-channel audio, no problem. It's only since I got the C70 that this has been happening. The Info panel shows the footage from the Sony as "4-channel mapped to 2 stereo". The C70 comes up as "4-channel mapped to adaptive".

 

The backtrace in the crash report has lots of functions with "Audio" in the name...

<stackStatement index="3" address="0x000000000C6D1D19" symbolname="dvaaudiofilters::audiolowpass::AudioLowpass::Update"/>
<stackStatement index="4" address="0x000000000C292726" symbolname="dvaaudiofilterhost::AudioFilter::ProcessWithMapping"/>
<stackStatement index="5" address="0x000000000F6DE57A" symbolname="ML::IsRemoved"/>
<stackStatement index="6" address="0x000000000E072B48" symbolname="AR::AudioRendererFactory::CreateTimeStretchedAudioGenerator"/>

 

TOPICS
Audio, Crash, Editing, Formats, Import

Views

115

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, that worked for a while, then it started crashing again.

It's so aggravating that this problem takes days to manifest itself -- that makes debugging extremely hard.

In any case, now I'm trying to just avoid adaptive audio tracks altogether.   So I conform my C70 footage to stereo (using "Modify -> Audio Channels"; the Info panel shows them as "4 channel mapped to 2 stereo").  And I re-created all my sequences as stereo, with "Standard" track type.

So far this seems to be working, and I'm making progress with my project.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines