Highlighted

Multicam Sequence cutting out some of the yellow rendering line, not showing video

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm new to Premiere, and I'm trying to do a multi-cam squence.  I recored a video of what I'm doing, but I'm selecting all the video from 2 cameras, the audio from a separate device, and right clicking to "Create multicamera source sequence."  I have 2 Nikon d850s, and if you recored longer that 4.5 min or so it creates a new file.  Hence all the files I am selecting for each camera.

A video I watched said to select these sequences that were just made, and "Open in Timeline," and it shows them as they are, but the last time I did it, it shows them as each 4.5 min clip on different video chanels (not sure what they are called), but this time it's looking like they blended them.

The video I watched said to them select the sequences that were made (I have 4) and right click "New Sequence From Clip" and that creates the one that you should be able to toggle back and forth between camera, but it's not filling in all of the yellow rendering line (as I understand that's what it is) so ther are what appears to be random chunks that the video will not show up for.  I say random as I did this yesterday and the places where the yellow line were missing was different.  

Hopefully this video I made can help a little, please let me know if you have any ideas.  I tried selecting the clip and rendering them, and that didn't work, I disable the multicam and the yellow line populates, but then I don't have the option of selecting camera 1 or 2.  

It will only steal about 3 minutes of your life.

Thank you!!!

Jayme

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Multicam Sequence cutting out some of the yellow rendering line, not showing video

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I'm new to Premiere, and I'm trying to do a multi-cam squence.  I recored a video of what I'm doing, but I'm selecting all the video from 2 cameras, the audio from a separate device, and right clicking to "Create multicamera source sequence."  I have 2 Nikon d850s, and if you recored longer that 4.5 min or so it creates a new file.  Hence all the files I am selecting for each camera.

A video I watched said to select these sequences that were just made, and "Open in Timeline," and it shows them as they are, but the last time I did it, it shows them as each 4.5 min clip on different video chanels (not sure what they are called), but this time it's looking like they blended them.

The video I watched said to them select the sequences that were made (I have 4) and right click "New Sequence From Clip" and that creates the one that you should be able to toggle back and forth between camera, but it's not filling in all of the yellow rendering line (as I understand that's what it is) so ther are what appears to be random chunks that the video will not show up for.  I say random as I did this yesterday and the places where the yellow line were missing was different.  

Hopefully this video I made can help a little, please let me know if you have any ideas.  I tried selecting the clip and rendering them, and that didn't work, I disable the multicam and the yellow line populates, but then I don't have the option of selecting camera 1 or 2.  

It will only steal about 3 minutes of your life.

Thank you!!!

Jayme

TOPICS
Editing, Error or problem, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I'll tackle is the "spanned clips" ... that's what it's called when the cam cuts an actual clip into bits as it's recording it. You can see that Premiere properly connects them to the synced audio, but puts 'new' clips as if from a new camera on a higher track.

Yea, that's a "thing". So you need to then simplify the sequence by dragging the raised clips to the track they should be on for that camera.

So ... scenario: one camer records full length files without splitting, and one camera splits the clips into four successive bits, you create a multicam in Premiere.

What will happen is the one cam will be shown of course on one track. The other cam that spans the clips will be shown on four successively higher tracks. To clean that up, simply drag the clips down to where they should be.

Yea, it's a pain, and no, Premiere has no auto-method to do it for you.

Next, there are a couple ways you can see a multicam. Premiere essentially looks at a multicam "sequence" as a clip. If you just drag/drop a multicam sequence onto another sequence, you will likely get the green single-track clip of a "nested" clip or sequence. You can still tell the Program monitor to be in multi-cam view to see all the clips on the left side, the 'selected' clip of the moment on the right.

Right-clicking the multicam in a bin and 'open in sequence' should give you the multiple-track version, where every cam is on a different track.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks so much for your response!  I was having that issue of selecting all of the video from cam 1, cam 2, and the audio, and when I would create the multicam sequence it creates gaps in the yellow line above the timeline, which I found to be, "The yellow bar(s) indicates frames for which Adobe Premiere Pro does not have a rendered preview file, and that Adobe Premiere Pro will render right before the playhead reaches them."

So there are gaps there, and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.

What I did as a work around, is I would put all of the spanned clips from camera one in the timeline, and then I nested those.  I did that for camera 2, and then from those two I did the multicam sequence (highlighting both video clips in the timeline, and rightclicking Create Multicam Sequence."  And, that seems to be the workflow I need to do to go about this.

When I grab all of my clips from say cam one, and put then into the timeline, it just puts them in sequentially, and doesn't stack them as you had mentioned.

One question for the spanned clips, do you think nesting them is the best way to go?  My understanding is that nesting just combines all of the clips into one clip which seems to do what I am wanting it to do.

Ok, thanks so much and going to actually get to attempting to learning how to edit now!

!!!

Jayme

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

spanned clips can be problematic if you need to send the project to resolve for color correction...  Not a terrible idea to transcode and combine the spanned clips to a single file.  If you're on the mac, I'd  prores 422 (HQ).  I'm assuming your camera original is an mpeg format like h264 or an .mts.  You'll get better performance with something like prores... which can be crucial if you're trying to playback multiple streams of video at the same time.  

Just find the spanned clips (the full clip, not the individual components) and export to prores or whatever matching the settings...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgrenadier is right on. Spanned clips are a right pain in pass-throughs to color, vfx, and sound work. So if it's possible, it can be a major hassle-saver to simply t-code the spanned clips to a single good-quality intermediate file (as he mentioned) and completely replace the spanned clips in the project file.

If everything is going to be done within Premiere, then ... work with them. And of course, it's not always welcomed to replace the 'original' media even if it makes the whole project work better.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok sounds good, thanks for the tip!  I was still trying to find out what was going on with the yellow reference line having some chunks missing that then was not allowing me to see the video, but I think I figued out the workaround. Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok sounds good, thanks Neil!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 1