Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple inverted masks don't work.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short Version:

I am trying to put 3 inverted opacity masks on one image but the way the program works right now it won't let you do that.

So the question is - How do you remove multiple parts of an image?

Long Version:

I shot a music video for a friend with my sony z5u. I got shots when I was there that I planned to green screen myself into later. The reason for green screening myself in is that I am a ghost, so I have the opacity level down on my image. Most of the chroma-key shots dropped in like clockwork but 2 need some masking fx. I got through making one of the three masks on one of the shots and found out quickly when I started the second mask that you can't have 2 inverted masks. I've seen recommendations on other posts to use nesting. I tried it but all it did was move the problem to a new sequence so I am at a loss for how that's supposed to help. I also saw posts that said all you have to do is access a drop down menu that doesn't exist anymore. So that's a no go. Tried other solutions as well and tech support said moving it over to After FX didn't make a difference.
It doesn't seem like it should be this hard to do something so seemingly simple that basic garbage mattes could accomplish 15 years ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

That is correct you can use only one inverted mask on a clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Does this help?

https://youtu.be/m0h5JnT82aY

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I address that in the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct you can use only one inverted mask on a clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Already knew that. The question is how do you remove multiple parts of an image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Track matte is an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did an hour with tech support on that and all it seemed to do was track the matte to whatever the program thinks you're outlining. Which is to say that it helps create a matte. My problem isn't creating them. It's using more than one at once.

The question is - how do I remove multiple parts of an image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a track matte you can remove as many items as you want.

Might want to post the image so we can see what needs to be removed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made three holes in the clip with a track matte drawn in the Legacy titler

added the track matte on the clip

dropped a green color matte on v1 to show through.

track matte.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the holes to be animated AE is the way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about the delayed response. I'm pretty busy right now and I appreciate the attempted help.

Anyway, tried track matte and I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. I can apply the track matte effect to a clip, I can draw on the clip, but I can't remove that part of the image. Probably because I can't assign it to the track I want it on. What ever track I put the effect on sets the matte video assignment to the track above it. For example: I put it on a legacy title on track 4 and you can see here my assignment options start at track 5.

Also, you can't see it but reverse is selected per your example. Screenshot 2018-02-26 13.37.01.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Adobe Premiere should have the capability to have multiple inverted masks on one image. Sony Vegas allows it. C'mon, Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jacobb49644841,

Did you try the suggestion/workaround of Ann Bens?

you can't have 2 inverted masks.

I request you to make a feature request for this & I'll do my best to advocate on your behalf, as well.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't seem to make it work.

I filed a feature request.

10,000 thank yous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at my screenshot.

The mask is drawn in the legacy title as white object superimposed over the clip

You drop the track matte effect on the clip

and point it to the object (title)

Then you check Reverse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, so how do I make it a white shape?

Also, I need to be able to see what I'm tracing so having it be a white shape doesn't seem like it would work very well. You can see what I'm doing there. I'm trying to remove me from the parts of the foreground which should be covering me. How do I do this in premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont think multiple inverted maskes will be added very soon.

So If the masks need to be animated you will have to do this in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two four second shots left in this project and I don't want to have to learn an entirely new program to finish. There has to be a way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can only use one inverted mask you could try and make different areas with one mask.

masks.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann,

How are you connecting the masks with a single line? Is that two lines of the mask just super close together to make it look like a single line? Thx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two lines are on top of each other.

Use the magnify option in full screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you say you tried to apply multiple opacity masks in AE and that it didn't work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use multiple compositions, too. I do the larger mask in the first composition, then right click on the comp and choose "new comp from the selection" and create another mask in a different area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New comp from selection is an After Effects feature.

But you could nest between masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

Firt put a big mask inverted (for all zones) and later up put mores mask without inverted in the next areas you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines