• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple inverted opacity masks not working in Premiere Pro

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my project, I am trying to create a simple opacity mask over a shed in a forest. The shed's room is divided into two parts by a tree in front. My goal is to have both parts be completely transparent so that I could throw anything I need in back of it. I know that for using a single opacity mask, you need to draw your shape and hit invert in order to make the drawn shape transparent. Here are some difficulties I've ran into using two masks and wanting them to operate the same:

Here, both masks are inverted, but nothing happens.

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.10.29 AM.png

In these two screen shots, I toggle off the inversion to one mask while keeping the other on. Only one mask is transparent when I need both to be:

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.10.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.10.54 AM.png

Finally: Here's what it looks like when both masks are WITHOUT inversion (behaves as expected, making the area around my masks transparent to the image behind it):

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.11.06 AM.png

That leads me to my question: Is there a way to utilize two opacity masks that both act completely transparent within their given shape in Premiere Pro? I know that this is rather simple in AE, but unfortunately, I don't have the specs to run it (even doing these two masks would take hours to render). On Premiere, such simple masks are pretty forgiving, therefore, I am looking for Premiere answers only!

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Advocate , Sep 09, 2017 Sep 09, 2017

Duplicate the clip that has the masks on it onto different tracks. Delete the masks from the track below. Add a track matte effect to that same clip. Reference the masked clip above & reverse the matte. Place the replacement clip below track matte clip. (I only have track 4 & 5 on in picture below. Track 1 is off)

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 4.45.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

multiple inverted masks.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use multiple masks but not inverted.

You can just use one mask inverted.

Use track mattes instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate the clip that has the masks on it onto different tracks. Delete the masks from the track below. Add a track matte effect to that same clip. Reference the masked clip above & reverse the matte. Place the replacement clip below track matte clip. (I only have track 4 & 5 on in picture below. Track 1 is off)

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 4.45.54 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I also just found out that if you nest one mask into the clip, you can simply add another mask upon the nested footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Great way too! Awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey keviny I have a problem finding the masking tool of opacity. The pen tool is not being found, tell me bro what should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evening, use a Set Matte, it allows multiple masks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clever!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2021 Apr 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem and no solutions that worked for other worked for me, so I want to let people know what finally did work. I could copy the clip, remove the masks, and then copy/paste the masks back to the same clip, but if I nested the copied clip first, the copied mask would be scaled improperly. The same for copying the masks to new layers or adjustment layers.

I copied the clip below and removed mask 1 from the original, and mask 2 from the copy. I then nested the clip below (gets all screwy if you don't), added a track matte applied it to the layer above. This allowed to to get two functioning clips.

I know this isn't quite whats going on in this thread, but I searched many threads for a solution, and so perhaps someone having my problem will end up here as well 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

multiple inverted masks.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still is not working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind it works holy u saved my life been trying to do this for at least 1h!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i still cannot get this to work whatsoever, like do you need to make both masks on the original clip then do all that ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines