• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple, severe Captions issues in Premiere v15.0

Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new captions workflow seems to be introducing a lot of growing pains for a good deal of us as I browse the forum here.

In my case, I'm having a heck of a time performing simple tasks like re-positioning the text. Sometimes when I click on one of the Zones in the "Align and Transform" tab in the Essential Graphics panel, nothing happens. Other times, the subtitle immediately responds and snaps to the desired position. I am having almost no luck manually adjusting the position with the X and Y axis controls in that "Align and Transform" tab. Generally, nothing at all happens. I don't believe this is due to me using a restrictive form of captions - under "Format" in the "New caption track" dialogue box, I am working with the "Subtitle" option.

I'm also experiencing what seems to be a very severe issue with lag (?) when I attempt to work with Captions. Often, the preview monitor does not update at all when I move the playhead or manually click around in the timeline. I can even completely delete the caption track and yet still see an earlier version of a frame which still includes the caption I've erased. I'm almost certain this is not a hardware issue, since I can color grade and apply multiple effects with relative ease (16GB RAM, admittedly terrible graphics card: NVIDEA GeForce MX250, i7 processor, etc.).

As it stands, it seems as though the new Captions workflow is utterly broken and unuseable in my case. I'm open to the possibility that I am just doing something totally wrong and/or have completely lost my mind, but I'm leaning more towards an issue with the update itself. ; )

Input is much appreciated!

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

UPDATE:

Believe it or not, this issue was apparently caused almost entirely by user error/ignorance on my part!

I had a very kind gentleman from Adobe Support walk me through the issue, and it was as simple as the fact that I had a dumb workflow - the project file I was actively working on was on the external hard drive along with my footage and other data, leading to some severe lagging.

After rectifying that and doing some testing, it seems like Captions are working just fine. Lesson learned!! h

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That computer's hardware may be able to do some Lumetri and such ok, but the new captions adds more graphics to the mix. Which defiinitely increases the load on the computer. So ... sadly, it means ya gotta get more 'oomph' somehow.

So far, it's all working relatively smoothly on my Win10 machine, but I've got 24 cores and 128GB of RAM plus a 2080Ti.

There are a bunch of changes needed like ... NOW ... to make this work better for mulitple uses. My rather simple captioning needs are pretty much handled by the new process. And it's much better than the old one for me.

But those working hour-long or longer shows with large text files they need to import and place, and probably needing multiple captions 'blocks' per track ... those workflows are pretty much struggling with the new process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, Neil! Thanks, by the way, for your diligence and expertise in these forums.

What I'm struggling to grasp is how attempting to move text around the screen is causing any slowdown whatsoever. I didn't even have a dropshadow on, and it was the vanilla, default text. There shouldn't be anything even remotely approaching a graphics-intensive process in anything I was doing. I've done much more complex text work outside of the Captions workflow with zero problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also note this was on a roughly 2 minute video with an extremely simple timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been through discussions like this with engineers at times. "Oh, but see, when you do X, the program is designed to react with Y and allow for these other 20 variables so it puts more strain on the system than you expect. It's a lot more complex than it looks."

Yea. And naturally, I just ... look back at them. With perhaps a not very complex looking "look". Sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shae,

I am not seeing either of your problems. I can position captions as expected. (Win10; older machine) Sometimes you run into the limits of the x/y adjustments. But you're clearly moving in multiple directions.

The slow down issue has been reported by other users. Thanks for noting that you get this in a simple 2 minute timeline. Should not happen; and it is.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stan. I'm also running Windows 10. Computer is an HP Spectre x360 from (I believe) 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE:

Believe it or not, this issue was apparently caused almost entirely by user error/ignorance on my part!

I had a very kind gentleman from Adobe Support walk me through the issue, and it was as simple as the fact that I had a dumb workflow - the project file I was actively working on was on the external hard drive along with my footage and other data, leading to some severe lagging.

After rectifying that and doing some testing, it seems like Captions are working just fine. Lesson learned!! hahaha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! Thanks for reporting back. That is good news for you, and perhaps a lesson for others.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, to anyone else experiencing a similar issue, I found that I had to turn GPU acceleration (CUDA) ON, even though in other situations my graphics card is not capable of GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines