• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MXF Sony FX6 and Proxy workflow

Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the proxy workflow for months and I understand that the proxy file's audio must match the source. To keep the proxy files as small as possible I have ask that incoming media have only active audio channels recorded. Previous proxies have been created from a variety of cameras and recording devices. The latest recordings with the Sony FX6 all have 8 channels of audio appearing in Premiere and Media Encoder. This despite the FX6 manual saying that the camera can record up to 4 channels of audio. I have been assured by the crews that the Sony FX6 has CH3 & CH4 turned off. I have successfully created ProRes proxies with 8 channels of audio. I am concerned with file sizes of the proxies so limiting the extra dead audio channels would be very helpful for workflows. 

If I look at the properties of the MXF in non adobe players I am seeing 8 channels of audio in the file. Is this a Sony issue or an MXF issue? 

Any advice, suggestion, thoughts are welcome. 

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After more trials and communications with Sony I have come to understand that when creating these files on the ILMEFX6V or ILMEFX6 that 8 channels of audio will be represented. I have done tests with at least 3 different edit software applications on both mac and pc. This is not an Adobe bug. The 8 channels on the mxf are inherent to this Sony codec. According to Sony support,  "Engineering indicated 8 channels can show up on third party software since the specification for our audio files can support up to 8 channels. Since its  a file specification there is no setting on the camera to change this." 

Unfortunately my attempts to reach anyone in engineering at Sony to discuss this topic have failed. 

If anyone reading this has a Sony engineering contact please share the information. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I cannot link the proxies made in the camera, because FCPX indicates that the proxy files have different audio settings (channels): 8 (originals) vs 2 (stereo, proxies). This is a bummer. Does anyone know how to solve this? The in camera proxies are useless this way. tx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here it is nearly 2 years later and I'm experiencing the same problem with the FX6 footage.  I'm not using proxies, but whenever I drag a clip to the timeline I get 8 mono tracks.  I would expect them to be 4 stereo channels.  It's just that when layering a bunch of these, the tracks get totally out of control.  Is there any way to control this in Premier?  (Time to bug Sony, I guess.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2022 Dec 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Timeline prefs ... I think that's the tab.

Anyway, there's a tab in the Prefs that has settings for how you want audio to plop onto sequences ... mono, stereo, adaptive, 5.1 ... from what types of sources.

So you can say that stereo source should be mono, which will give you two linked mono tracks or "dual mono". Or vice versa.

Perhaps changing that may help.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that if you turn on proxy recording in the FX6, so that it records a parallel MP4 file, the MXF file loses the 4 extra channels, so you get 4 channels on the MXF in Premier. (You get only 2 channels in the MP4.)  Then if you turn off Proxy Record, the MXF continues to deliver only 4 channels.  I'm doing more experimenting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, if I engage proxy recording, the MXF records only two channels, just like the MP4. Switch off Proxy and you get 4 channels in the MXF.

Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with recording proxies is that when you go to S&Q and then back again, proxies turn off and you have to turn proxies back on again - this is unpractical if shooting in a tight situation. Furthermore - the proxies have different audio spec to the MXF files so dont match up if shuffling between original footage and proxies in Prem Pro - problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

exactly.  No solution for using the proxies in premiere as they have different audio channel numbers, 4 the qfhd, and 2 the mp4. 

Thanks for alerting about the swich off of proxies after S&Q. 

Two not really well thought issues by the builders of the FX6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines