MXF Sony FX6 and Proxy workflow

New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the proxy workflow for months and I understand that the proxy file's audio must match the source. To keep the proxy files as small as possible I have ask that incoming media have only active audio channels recorded. Previous proxies have been created from a variety of cameras and recording devices. The latest recordings with the Sony FX6 all have 8 channels of audio appearing in Premiere and Media Encoder. This despite the FX6 manual saying that the camera can record up to 4 channels of audio. I have been assured by the crews that the Sony FX6 has CH3 & CH4 turned off. I have successfully created ProRes proxies with 8 channels of audio. I am concerned with file sizes of the proxies so limiting the extra dead audio channels would be very helpful for workflows. 

If I look at the properties of the MXF in non adobe players I am seeing 8 channels of audio in the file. Is this a Sony issue or an MXF issue? 

Any advice, suggestion, thoughts are welcome. 

TOPICS
Audio, Editing, Formats, Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After more trials and communications with Sony I have come to understand that when creating these files on the ILMEFX6V or ILMEFX6 that 8 channels of audio will be represented. I have done tests with at least 3 different edit software applications on both mac and pc. This is not an Adobe bug. The 8 channels on the mxf are inherent to this Sony codec. According to Sony support,  "Engineering indicated 8 channels can show up on third party software since the specification for our audio files can support up to 8 channels. Since its  a file specification there is no setting on the camera to change this." 

Unfortunately my attempts to reach anyone in engineering at Sony to discuss this topic have failed. 

If anyone reading this has a Sony engineering contact please share the information. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines