My computer crashes when Importing clips to my bin

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I attempt to import clips into a brand new Premiere project, my computer often crashes - not the software - the computer completely shuts down and restarts.  

When I manage to get the project working, the computer will often crash when I try to open a second project. 

It seems to happen when the clips are viewable in the bin, but processing/rendering the thumbnails.  

I'm on a 2018 Mac Mini running 3.2Ghz i7 with 32GB of RAM, on Mojave 10.14.6. I also have an AMD Radeon RX580 connected through a Razer Core X Thunderbolt enclosure. Premiere Pro Version 10.9.0.

Any advice? 

TOPICS
Crash, Error or problem, Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're using Premiere Pro 10.9.0?  that's a very old version.   Probably not suitable for your OS and hardware specs...  Current version is 14.9

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - that's a typo!  I am running 14.9.0 .  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TYPO UPDATE - I am running Premiere Pro Version 14.9.0 (not 10.9.0).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your source properties:  codec, frame rate, pixel dimensions?

And by any chance are you trying to import material from a screen recording or shot on a smartphone?  If so, the issue is probably material with a variable frame rate.  I'll add how to diagnose and fix that at the end of this post. so if that's not an issue, you can ignore it easily

well here are some very basic apple troubleshooting steps.  I have no idea of your level of expertise so don't get offended if you feel I'm recommending stuff you already know.

Do you have plenty of spare space on all drives connected to the mac.  a minimum of 20% on your startup drive and 10 % on all other drives?

You might try uninstalling and reinstalling creative cloud and Premiere using this to do the uninstall

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Try creating a new system user with administrative privileges using system preferences:  Users and groups.  Then log out and log in as new user.

Do you have any peripherals connected except for keyboard and mouse?  If so, try disconnecting them

Disconnect from the internet either by turning off wifi or pulling the ethernet cable

Are you running any other programs at the same time?  If so, quit them, restart and then laumch Premiere and see if the problem persists.

Please try these things in a systematic fashion and post back and let us know if things are working.  If not, someone here can probably come up with some more ideas.

And here's the variable frame rate stuff

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shoot real estate video tours . . . the files are all from a Fuji X-T3.

4K, 29.97 FPS, 400Mbps, H265

Once in the timeline, the files are interpreted as 23.976FPS (to slightly slow down the footage).  That said, I don't usually get to the point where I can interpret the files . . . as the computer will crash before I am given the opportunity.  

I do have many external drives . . . however, all software and media files are on the interal SSD when I am working on the project. The internal SSD currently has 150GB of the 500GB capacity (this includes the 55GB of working files from the current project I'm working on).  Once my project is complete, to free up space on the internal drive, the project and it's media files are moved to an external drive - which is backed up to secondary extrenal drive.  

Crashes happen even when the external drives are not connected.  

Other periherals I have connected . . . 

- Mouse
- Keyboard

- Wacom Pen Tablet
- Roland Quad-Capture Audio interface
- Korg nanoKontrol 2 MIDI Mixer

I don't have any other apps running, other than Premiere Pro. 

To be honest - I'm at the point where I want to do a complete fresh reset of my computer.  I have to turn my projects around quickly for my clients.  The 20-30 minutes these crashes set me back, when they happen, seriously suck!

The odd thing is . . . it doesn't always happen. Most times the files import properly and I'm off ot the eaces.  Even when a crash occures - when I finally get the project working, the project doesn't have any further hiccups.  Unless, I try to open up a second project at the same time . . . sometimes, while the thumbnails are rendering, the computer will crash.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disconnecting all peripherals except mouse and keyboard as a
troubleshooting step.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adrian,

What's the source media? What kind of monitor(s) are you using? Multiple monitors? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a single BenQ PD3200U monitor.  

Further info is the above reply.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines