Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My sequence is not showing up in timeline

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reaching out to the experts here.  

So i created my first video in Premiere Pro and I posted it to YouTube under private so my friends could see it and give feedback before publishing. However I notice that two frames in the video gave an error message indicating that when i created the final video that i'd somehow deleted the original source of the video clip.  I figured easy, so i just go back into premiere pro and re-open my project and put the missing file back in the video and re export.

However when the project opens in premiere pro all my library of images and video clips are in the left hand box but nothing shows in my timeline so I can insert or edit etc.   I have searched and tried dozens of ways to find it but come up blank.  I really dont want to go back and re create the video unless I have to. I sense its a simple route directory, source setting i'm missing or havent clicked.... but i'll be damned if i can find it. 

Anyone experienced this before? 

Mark

TOPICS
Editing , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your sequence is probably hiding out in your project bin amongst your clips and such. Look for the Sequence icon That has a bunch of horizontal lines that are blue and green. Double click it to open it up in your timeline. I've attached a screenshot for reference.

sequence.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gerikp

Here is a screenshot image and nothing in timeline or any icon etc to click onto.  Please note I'm just getting into video editing and this is my first video i've edited on PR so i'm still navigating through it all. 

Thanks for your help though. I sure hope I don't have to re make the video and it really is only a matter of finding it behind some curtain. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gerik was talking about the Project panel, on the left of your image. His was simply displayed in List view, yours is displayed in Thumbnail view.

Scroll down through the project panel, and find where there is a thumb with that icon on it that his pic points to. That is your sequence, typically named identically to the first clip dropped on it. Which is confusing.

And why many of us immediately rename clips when creating them. Sequences named for clips in the same bin is confusing.

Neil

(Oh, and this forum's software is silly at best. Please drag/drop images directly onto your text reply area so we don't have to download strange files to see them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

thanks for the fast response. Sorry for dumb questions. In assembly you get the image I previously sent but when I see the Project Panel shown in the editing page has nothing resembling this "sequence". Am I missing something ? Is it in a sub menu ?

IMG_8381.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are no "dumb" questions, so please ... ask away! This is a complex and complicated app, and after a number of years of hours a day, I still find things I'd had no clue about. As does everyone I know.

That screen you're showing ... see where it says "Source" at the top? That is the Source Monitor. You need the Project panel, at first often found among those in that "panel group" in the lower left corner of that image. There are other panels to the left or right of those showing.

In your first image, here?

Pr Screen image.jpg

Look at the top right corner of the area with the blue 'active panel' border. It says "Project". That is the name of the panel, and it is one of several panels in that blue outlined area or "panel group".

So it's in that Project panel that you will find your sequence, with the icon that is shown in Gerik's post.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what a sequence icon looks like when you are in an icon view in the Project panel. Sorry, the example I sent you was in list view. 

sequence icon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Gerik,

As mentioned to Neil. I am of the understanding I am in the project Bin ... does it look like it to you in this image? If so, no such icon for the sequence is evident in my images or videos.

Am I skipping something obvious ?

thx

Mark 

project folder.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your project window to List view so you can see the contents better.

Try resetting your workspace.

Use the search box to locate your sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann, I'm so new to this software and cringe to ask  ...but how do i do this?  I'm still navigating this software nd dont find it so intuitive. I certaily miss not having some back space feature as often it takes me off somewhere I struggle to get back from.   A brief scan of headers and sub menus I do not see anything obvious to do the above.  (its OK to roll your eyes )   ;o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_8386.jpg

  Ann, do you mean like this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been trying to work out how to solve this issue for so long and THIS is the thing that has caught me off guard. 

I was opening and closing projects completely perplexed as to why I couldn't see the timeline. 

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Neil,

I appreciate your patience but i do not see that "sequence" icon in any of my panels. My project is named "ending on a positive note". It gives me all my images and video clips in the project panel but no images have the icon you mention or that Gerik illustrates in his example.  I feel i'm chasing my tail here.  Is there any conceivable way I may have deleted or moved an image and with that was the sequence? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any conceivable way I may have deleted or moved an image and with that was the sequence? 

By @falcnr

Yes, that may well be the case. Or probably, you thought that you deleted the image but deleted the timeline while the image were never deleted. You will never get a warning dialog that asks you if you really want to delete the timeline so deleting it is just a keystroke away. IMHO the icons in the default List View are too small and too similar, making those mistakes easier to do without even noticing it.

In this case one can only guess, you may have several versions of the project that are named more or less the same making it easy to open the "wrong" project.

I don´t get why Premiere Pro don´t have a warning dialog when deleting the most critical part in any project, the timeline. Totally insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes good points. As a new user I am learning a very steep learning curve but first impressions are that its not as intuitive as it could be. Certainly a "previous button" would help as during exploration if i touch the wrong tab it sends you off into unchartered territory that isnt anything to do with what your doing and then getting back to your screen is a nightmare.  I'm getting better at it as we all do with practice but still very much a newbie.

I only have one project, which is my first and only project i did to see how PR works and if it is a fit for what I want to do. I think it is but I sense I need to adjust to some of the quirks of the program.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to have the project panel open:

Project panel.PNG

In my example the project is called book day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard,  but this was done but no sequence icon shows. 

Is it concievable that it wasnt saved after completeing project and uploading it to computer ...or does it happen automatically?

PR screen shot.jpg

????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's try this. In your project panel go to the search bar (it has a spyglass icon in it) and start typing the word sequence. After I type "seq" a bunch of sequences I have set up show up in the panel.

search_seq.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gerik, just did this and nothing appears.  Somehow my sequence has dissapeared.

It means I must have deleted it at some stage when I exported the video and closed down the program.During the course of completing the video I did various crops and deletions to shorten the vide to within 12 minutes.

When I closed the project and got out of PR, it gives a succession of "do you want to save changes" pop up windows and since I had gone back in and exported it, i didnt want to save/change anything. I didnt knowingly delete a file and it appears the one that did go missing was the one with the sequence attached. 

My only explanation i can think of. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, can't say we didn't try. Good luck with your next go at it. Save early and save often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite the contrary I was very impressed and appreciative of several folks including yourself, efforts to help. Much appreciated !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea why this "automate sequence" is greyed out in the project folder and can't be activated? 

automate to sequence.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you have not setup the clips for automate to sequence.

Why not try a fix your orignal problem first.

Set Project window to List View: second icon on the left.

Now look for this icon

SP_Sequence_64x64_N_D@2x.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everybody, I really appreciate everyones help however this is becoming a huge source of frustration. 

In the time i've tried to fix this i could have re done the entire video from scratch however I was trying to figure out what went wrong and how i can avoid it in future. I thought it was simply i didnt activate some tab etc.

I am wondering if the fact I am using the 7 day trial version to see how it works as to weather certain drop down menus are greyed out or items missing ?    While I am new to this software, simple directions to do things are coming up fruitless as what everybody including myself is expecting to be there ... isn't. I really dont think i'm blind and you've all been great in directing me what to look for but sequence simply isnt there in my project folder, attached to any file, video, sound or jpg.  I have no explanation other than perhaps because i'm currently still in my 7 day trial version that it won't allow and additional editing or review. Speaking with a friend using this when he touches a subject header in the top tool bar it drops down a menu and most items are active but in mine in  some cases all but one are greyed out and inaccessible. 

To support this assumption, I tried to make a second video and randomly picked 3 videos and put them in my project folder. I then tried to drag into my timeline and they wont go. I get that hand grabbing logo but when it enters the timeline it has a "no entry" symbol.  

I think I will subscribe for PR as my experience creating the first video was fairly straightforward but this experience using the trial version has put a bad taste in my mouth as a newcomer since there are no explanations as to what I should expect or what is limited etc. I also dont know enough about the program to know if I created the problem somehow by not saving somthing or if it is a limitation of the softare. 

Thoughts ?  

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2021 Mar 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also dont know enough about the program to know if I created the problem somehow by not saving somthing or if it is a limitation of the softare. 

Thoughts ?  

By @falcnr

There are no such limitations to the trial version. From the top of my head there are two or three known and official limitations of the trial version; No export to MPEG2, no export to H.265 and no import of H.265. There may be more that i am not aware of, but deleting timelines or making created timelines useless after the fact that the end user closes the app is not one of them. Just try it, create a new project and place any media on the timeline and export. Close and save the project and open it again and edit the timeline or export it again.

Regarding greyed out items in menues is often due to that some panels/items must be selected for the menu or part of the menu to light up. For example Automate to Sequence; If you don´t select anything in the Project panel that icon is greyed out since Automate to Sequence don´t know which items you want to Automate to Sequence. If you select two or more items in the Project panel the icon light up since it now know which selected items the end user wants to Automate to Sequence.

Or, select the Effects panel and go to the Markers menu. As you can see almost everything is greyed out. Now, select the timeline and go back to the Markers menu. This time more items light up. Add a Marker or an In/Out point in the timeline and even more items will light up in that menu.

The point with the trial version is to let the user test the software and it´s functions, not to disable 50% of the software during the trial period. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines