Highlighted

Need an efficient workflow for a Rounded Rectangle

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm making some tutorial videos and often need to highlight an object or area of the screen. I'd like to use a rounded rectangle for this. However, Premiere's shape tools don't seem to have a good way to do this:

- The regular Rectangle tool does not allow for a rounded radius

- The Pen tool is imprecise and doesn't seem to have any snapping, or the ability to type in an exact curvature for consistency

- In the Legacy Title panel, the Rounded Corner Rectangle distorts the corners and looks terrible

- In the Legacy Title panel, the Rounded Rectangle is the wrong shape

- If I import a shape from Illustrator or Photoshop, resizing it also resizes the corners

I want a good workflow, ideally entirely within Premiere, to create any size rounded rectangle, but with the same absolute corner radius regardless of rectangle size. The Legacy Title panel's Rounded Corner Rectangle *looks* like it should be able to do this, but appears to have a bug where the corners become disproportionately scaled quarter-ellipses instead of remaining quarter-circles.

Is there really no way to do this besides custom-making every single shape in Photoshop or Illustrator? And if so, is there any easier way to get the exact right size other than exporting a frame grab, opening it in PS, drawing the round-rect, disabling the guide frame layer, saving the .psd, then importing THAT into Premiere? That just seems like an insane amount of work for what should be an extremely simple one-step operation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Carlos Ziade | Adobe Community Professional

Dropbox - customizable rectangle.mogrt - Simplify your life

Attached is a mogrt I prepared for you, just import it

inside premiere pro's essential graphics, then drag

to the timeline and click edit in the essential graphics.

you can edit roundness, scale, position, colors, stroke etc...

explanation: you have to create it inside after effects if you have it, then export as a mogrt

and make sure to include all the properties you want to edit inside

premiere pro, just like the attached mogrt that I prepared...

Hope that helps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need an efficient workflow for a Rounded Rectangle

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm making some tutorial videos and often need to highlight an object or area of the screen. I'd like to use a rounded rectangle for this. However, Premiere's shape tools don't seem to have a good way to do this:

- The regular Rectangle tool does not allow for a rounded radius

- The Pen tool is imprecise and doesn't seem to have any snapping, or the ability to type in an exact curvature for consistency

- In the Legacy Title panel, the Rounded Corner Rectangle distorts the corners and looks terrible

- In the Legacy Title panel, the Rounded Rectangle is the wrong shape

- If I import a shape from Illustrator or Photoshop, resizing it also resizes the corners

I want a good workflow, ideally entirely within Premiere, to create any size rounded rectangle, but with the same absolute corner radius regardless of rectangle size. The Legacy Title panel's Rounded Corner Rectangle *looks* like it should be able to do this, but appears to have a bug where the corners become disproportionately scaled quarter-ellipses instead of remaining quarter-circles.

Is there really no way to do this besides custom-making every single shape in Photoshop or Illustrator? And if so, is there any easier way to get the exact right size other than exporting a frame grab, opening it in PS, drawing the round-rect, disabling the guide frame layer, saving the .psd, then importing THAT into Premiere? That just seems like an insane amount of work for what should be an extremely simple one-step operation.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Matt

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Carlos Ziade | Adobe Community Professional

explanation: you have to create it inside after effects if you have it, then export as a mogrt

Hope that helps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 19, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use After Effects. Do you have Creative Cloud All Apps?

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do, but doesn't this run into the issue that, if I resize the shape, it also resizes the corners?

The corners need to stay the same absolute radius size (say, 24 px) regardless of the dimensions of the edges of the rectangle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2019 2
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right, Ann. Thanks.

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2019 0
Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine aren't rounding? What am I missing? PP 13.1.3, Win

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2019 1
Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2019 2
Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann !! you nailed it! yeah that was a  great cool new feature in the latest release!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2019 2
Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann Bens

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 20, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip Ann. That's still not quite what I need because with that approach, the radius of the rounded corner depends on the thickness of the stroke. For my purpose I need to be able to specify those two things independently, say, a 10px thick stroke with a 24px corner radius.

If not for the Legacy Title bug/regression in its Rounded Corner Rectangle shape, where the corners are incorrectly distorted, I would be using that.

As it is, I'm still not seeing any straightforward way to make a real round rectangle. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Matt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope that helps

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed - very helpful. I'm new to motion graphics so this is a whole new area to explore; appreciate the template.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other question - how can I resize this rectangle non-proportionally (independent X/Y size)? I'm not seeing an option to unlink the height and width. I opened the template in After Effects and am not yet seeing an unlink option there either; am I missing something? Thanks! Matt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay I updated the mogrt to meet your request, sorry for the previous one:

you now can use the x and y scale while preserving the stroke thickness

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are most welcome, please let me know if you still need anything

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and thanks to Adam Plouff for creating this expression to maintain stroke width in after effects:

Adam Plouff

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2019 0
Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is an updated version of customizable rectangle, after applying Expression Universalizer

for those who have non-english running systems:

Dropbox - Customizable Rectangle 02.mogrt - Simplify your life

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2019 2
DevFin LATEST
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I just don't quite know how to use it, but is there any way to keyframe the x and y scale of the rectangle? So I can make it grow and stretch as I need? Excellent template btw! Very useful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 14, 2020 0