• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need some 'advanced' keyframing support - help! help!

Participant ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I love keyframing... and I understand a lot of it... but I want to totally control the bezier curves to make the footage do exactly what I want it to... but every time I grab a bezier handle everything just goes wonky.

I made a video (linked here) of my general experience which will show you pretty much where I'm up to.

What tends to typically occur when I venture into this world is either:

a). I slow down the end position/animation of a clip intentionally only to dramatically INCREASE the speed at the start unintentionally. Or

b). By shuttling the bezier handles on the 'duration' line in all kinds of configurations, I seem to effect the size or location of the clip rather than the speed with which it executes....

Basically I'm obvioulsy missing some vital schooling in the art of mastering keyframe beziers - and I can't find a YouTube tutorial or any online resource that covers this level of detail.

Please help! - And many thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally going to play with this as an alternative to transition keyframing - thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The velocity curve is counter intuitive, I suggest you do your effect using only the scale curve. The velocity will adjust automatically according the curve you draw above it. Check this gif of how simple it is by using only the first curve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is probably the win for me! - Thanks so much.... I'm gonna play with this for a few hours until it isn't 'counter' any more!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sami...

Well I tried 'Peru Bob's suggestion above - but that just changed the speed of a sequence - but I want to change the speed of a transition.

I totally agree that the curve is 'counter intuitive' as you suggested and I watched the animated GIF you sent me. Actually, I couldn't really control the GIF to watch it carefully - so I converted it to a movie here - if useful. I actually couldn't replicate this behaviour - the handles just don't behave for me.... I clearly don't understand something still.

Here's my movie response.... I just CAN'T get this to work.

Isn't there some instruction or video anywhere on the web that does a step by step description on how these handles work....

• Some handles I grab will move - but don't seem to do anything
  • Some I can't select at all
  • Some I select and then just alter the parameters I've just dialled in rather than the speed they execute

I basically don't get where 'slower here' is and how to dial it in... everything just goes wonky whenever I try.

The Ease In and Ease Out commands (themselves counter intuitive actually - but at least I've learned that) do work for me a bit.... but you can still see an abrupt stop in the video transition in the link above.... and I just don't understand it!

I did one more video attempt here - trying to replicate the same curve on the animated GIF in case it's useful. I succeeded in creating the same curve in order to create the same affect... but got different results.

Thanks so much for helping!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines