• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to convert 60 fps to 24 fps without slow motion?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as the headline says. I shot a wedding and accidently forgot to change the frame rate (Sony AVCHD, if it matters). I need the clip to get to 24fps without using slow motion (I need it to look real time) and I need the audio from the clip as well. So, clearly going to Interpret Footage>Frame Rate won't work because the audio and film slow down. Even unganging it as instructed by Adobe in the manual doesn't work quite right. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Dec 31, 2013 Dec 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You simply create the sequence the way you want it to be and drop your footage on it. When asked if you want to change the sequence settings to match the video, tell it "no".

The video will play at the normal speed.

Only if you interpret the footage do you get slow motion. Otherwise the 60fps footage plays back at 24fps by dropping 60% of the frames. Which is not the same as recording it at 24fps because the shutter speed was a lot faster, but it should still look fine.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2023 Mar 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2023 and this solution was so helpful! Thank you so much! I could hug you right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

what about the other way around. If I create a 120 fps imovie clip and import 24fps sequences. Will it just add duplicate frames? Will it retain the 24FPS 'look and feel"? This seems the best way to include both 120 FPS (action shots, ) + 24FPS (everything else) inside one video for export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drop the footage into the project, then interpret the 60 fps to 24 fps. Drag footage into timeline. Then right click clip in timeline and select replace with after effects composition. Then use timewarp effect to speed the footage back up to normal speed, I believe 225% should do the trick. Most Importantly make sure to select enable motion blur. I usually select the manual option under the shutter control and set the shutter angle to 180 at 5 samples.

In most situations this fixes the shutter speed difference when adapting frame rates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A great workaround, though I found I had to convert everything in AE instead of being able to link out the footage from Premiere.  Either way, gives perfectly smooth footage with lovely motion blur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for this explanation.  I am still learning After Effects and can't find any info online on how to speed up footage with the TimeWarp effect. Looking at the effects panel, I only see an option to slow it down (the scale is -100 to +100 with 100 apparently being the original speed i imported it at. You mentioned speeding it up by 225%... could you help me find where to do that?  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2019 Jul 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you render it after? I'm looking at 8 hours of rendering right now O.O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that anything over 100 speed in the time warp effect results in a frozen frame as playback is happening.

It's odd because the slider only lets you go up to 100, but you can manually type in higher numbers.

I don't know the ins and outs of this effect, so curious to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know I am way late to this thread BUT I am here because I was trying to figure out the same thing but through Premiere Pro. For anyone here looking for an answer, I figured out a way to do it just in Premiere Pro (Not AE). 

So I started with a timeline of 60fps, modified all of my footage to 24fps to make sure I have all of the slow-mo I want, then I followed these steps to get an authentic 24fps look for particular clips in real-time:

-Start a new sequence just to use for conversions but make the sequence a 24fps timeline

-Drop clip in the 60fps timeline

-Raise speed to 225%

-Drag that clip to the 24fps timeline

-Nest the clip into a new sequence (that way it nests the motion blur from the 24fps timeline)

-Drag that nested clip back onto the original 60fps timeline with the rest of your project

I hope this helps anyone looking for that answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can actually just create a 24fps sequence and drag your 60 FPS clip into it. It will play normal speed at 24fps. If you want to slow it down you still can because Premiere still can access the additional frames even though it’s playing back at 24fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were to put my 60fps video into the 24fps timeline, and export that video. Would the video essentially have converted into 24fps, but still playback at a regular speed? I am trying to rotoscope over a video, and need it to be in 24fps instead of 60fps so that I don't have to animated 60 frames for one second lol. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@afkvisuals Not a perfect solution because the new footage will appear choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so then what is the solution? I have a music video with everything filmed in 60fps. some footage I wanted to slow down. and some footage I wanted to keep as normal. I'm planning on exporting it as 24fps for the cinematic look. so I have the sequence settings set at 24, and iv just dropped all my 60fps footage onto the timeline. I assumed premier pro would do the work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you get an answer to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you don't even need to make a new sequence, if you just edit your current sequence settings and change it to 24fps it does it automatically and my footage didn't come out choppy. I also needed to scale my footage down to give it the cinematic feel, and to reduce the number of frames I have to edit for animating and After Effects comping for a music video. I created the After Effects composition and it then only had 24 frames instead of 60. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vital Information. 

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way that I found works for me the best. Maybe it's way too many steps but everyone else's methods weren't working for me. I think what I wanted was for it to look natural too with the motion blur, without which it looks jittery.

Hope this helps somebody out there!

In Premiere Pro:
  1. Import footage
  2. Go to CLIP - MODIFY - INTERPRET FOOTAGE
  3. Change to 24 fps
  4. Drop in sequence
  5. RIght click on clip
  6. Select REPLACE WITH AFTER EFFECTS COMPOSITION

This opens up After Effects
  1. Go to EFFECT - TIME - TIMEWARP
  2. Change speed to 225 (this is related to 60/24 ratio)
  3. Click ENABLE MOTION BLUR
  4. Change SHUTTER CONTROL to MANUAL
  5. Change SHUTTER ANGLE to 175 (or to your taste; smaller number means less blur)
  6. Adjust TIME RULER to get rid of excess time. Make sure the end of the ruler ends at the last frame of your footage or your export time will more than double. I learned this the hard way.
  7. Go to FILE - EXPORT - ADD TO ADOBE MEDIA ENCODER QUEUE

This opens up Media Encoder
  1. Make sure it's saving where you want it to and press the green PLAY button

This exports to an MP4 file and can take a really long time depending on your computer.

Once you open up the MP4, you'll find that it's not synced with the sound.

Go back to Premiere Pro and load this up in a 24 fps sequence.
  1. UNLINK the clip and delete the sound.
  2. IMPORT the original 60 fps file.
  3. Drag the SOUND only to the new 24fps version. You'll see that the video is longer than the sound.
  4. Right click the SOUND clip.
  5. Select SPEED/DURATION
  6. COPY the time code (you can click directly on it to get the exact time)
  7. Exit and right click the VIDEO clip.
  8. Select SPEED/DURATION
  9. Paste the time code from the sound file.
  10. They should be exact and synced.
  11. EXPORT video file.

You're done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines