Need workflow help to make transitions between multiple camera views

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a music video sequence with clips from 4 cameras. A very common thing I want to do is transition from one camera's view to another. So I play the timeline with one of the cameras visible and the other 3 at zero opacity (see screenshot) until I am at a point that I think I want a transition. In the screen shot, I a viewing Cam1 at the playback head in the Program window, and I want to transition to one of the other 3 camera clips.

Now right here where the timeline playback head is, I want to know what the other 3 camera views are, so I can decide which one to make visible. But how do I see what the other 3 clips have at this point in the playback? They are all at zero opacity in the timeline.

My (much too tedious) method has been to drag the opacity line up for each one (bottom to top) and maybe disable the current clip so I can see tracks under it. Then drag those lines back down and (to keep things clean) delete the drag handles that got created. It is ridiculously tedious just to find out which camera has a good view that I want to transition to.

I tried opening the clips in the Source Monitor window (lower right in the screen shot), but the source monitor does not track movements of the timeline playhead (and it shows only 1 source at a time).

What I would like, and cannot find a way tot do, is open each of the camera clips in their own window and have them track the timeline playhead. Then in a glance I could see all 4 camera views and make transitions on the timeline exactly where they need to be without tons of fiddling with opacity lines.

There must be a better workflow to do something like this... ideas? Some simple feature I am unaware of? Thanks!

Mark000111222_0-1606314162661.png

TOPICS
Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Need workflow help to make transitions between multiple camera views

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a music video sequence with clips from 4 cameras. A very common thing I want to do is transition from one camera's view to another. So I play the timeline with one of the cameras visible and the other 3 at zero opacity (see screenshot) until I am at a point that I think I want a transition. In the screen shot, I a viewing Cam1 at the playback head in the Program window, and I want to transition to one of the other 3 camera clips.

Now right here where the timeline playback head is, I want to know what the other 3 camera views are, so I can decide which one to make visible. But how do I see what the other 3 clips have at this point in the playback? They are all at zero opacity in the timeline.

My (much too tedious) method has been to drag the opacity line up for each one (bottom to top) and maybe disable the current clip so I can see tracks under it. Then drag those lines back down and (to keep things clean) delete the drag handles that got created. It is ridiculously tedious just to find out which camera has a good view that I want to transition to.

I tried opening the clips in the Source Monitor window (lower right in the screen shot), but the source monitor does not track movements of the timeline playhead (and it shows only 1 source at a time).

What I would like, and cannot find a way tot do, is open each of the camera clips in their own window and have them track the timeline playhead. Then in a glance I could see all 4 camera views and make transitions on the timeline exactly where they need to be without tons of fiddling with opacity lines.

There must be a better workflow to do something like this... ideas? Some simple feature I am unaware of? Thanks!

Mark000111222_0-1606314162661.png

TOPICS
Editing, How to, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 25, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup, multicamera where all your angles are embedded in a clip in the timeline.  do some googling for youtube turorials, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, a few answers to my own questions...

The source monitor and the timeline can be linked with the source monitor wrench tool option "Gang Source and Program". Maybe 'link' would have been more obvious than 'gang' (old school term for stacked potentiometers), but OK, it works.

Also stumbled across a reference to 'multicamera' monitors under 'monitor overlays' in the docs. This produces what would be called a 'multiview monitor' in a live mixing console. Seems a bit complex, but easy enough to use (but why, oh why, is  'Create multicamera' not in the monitor wrench tool menu? Would never have found it other than searching the docs.).

This produces a single window divided up to show all the clips, and with the 'gang' option enabled, it follows the timeline playhead:

Mark000111222_0-1606316300160.png

Not bad, although I wish I could get each of them in their own window so I could size them better. This will improve my workflow for sure...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh big bummer. Even when 'ganged' the source monitor is frozen during playback (single clip or multicamera). Only when the timeline playhead is stopped (or when scrubbing around) does it update. Yuk. Not a live mixing multiview.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2020 0