Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Captions workflow and fonts

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello --

I really like the new dedicated captions track, but there are some truly frustrating "features".

I have a fully captioned film. If I want to make changes, I go into the Captions workspace. When I highlight a captin that needs to be edited, and begin typing, the font settings (which are universal for all captions) are not maintained. As soon as I type a new character, the foont is white (noot yellow, as they all are) and appears in a totally different font and size. 

Why can't it just assume that if I'm making an edit to an existing caption, that it should keep the current settings? Super frustrating! 

Also, sometimes when I click on the cpation, the "Edit" part of the Essential Graphics window doesn't appear (allowing me to change font, size, color, etc.) I have to click on another caption, which brings it up, and then go back and click on the caption I want to edit. 

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had not experienced the problem with edits not matching the current style. HOWEVER, after I wrote my reply, I tested it once again, and saw the problem. I think it is a bug that occurs after applying a caption "Track Style." A simple workaround appears to be to make your first edit after applying the track style IN THE Program Monitor rather than the Text (captions) Panel.

Here is what I see as the problem/pattern. I tested in PR 15.1. (When I tested in the current public Beta, 15.3.0 Build 15, I could not get the problem to occur. So it may have been fixed.)

If there is no caption "Track Style" applied, I do not see the problem. If I create the Track Style in the sequence I am testing, I do not see the problem.

If I apply a previously created track style and then edit in the TEXT PANEL, the edited text appears with parts of its style as if no track style is applied. For example, it uses the font family and color of the prior style rather than the track style. But other parts of the style (Position, Background) remain with the track style applied.

If I continue to edit other captions in the Text Panel, the problem continues. This is true even if I reapply the track style (the nonconforming edits are conformed) and then edit in the Text Panel. The problem occurs.

If I now edit a caption in the Program Monitor, it follows the track style, and thereafter, edits in the Text Panel ALSO work correctly.

I can get the problem back by deleting the caption track and create a new one with the same steps as above.

I have occasionally experienced the problem of the EGP edit tab not showing up on selection of a caption in the timeline. I have not determined any pattern.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stan, for the detailed response. I don't fully understand "Track Style" but I will take a closer look! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines