Recently upgraded, Premiere to v15.1 My CEA-708 captions are not appearing when I send them to a broadcaster. My spot was rejected, and I'm having to port all my outputs to v14 to get them out the door. Has anyone done this with success? Kind of a pointless interface upgrade if it's not working. Grrr!
I had the same problem. You'll have to render 1st, then add captions and rerender. Not a huge deal if you are using QTProRes. It won't re-transcode the video just embed the captions. Then use MediaInfo to check if they are embedded.
Are you saying that the CEA-708 captions were not embedded in your exported file? Could you provide the steps that you went through? This will help in diagnosing.
The Captions Track is set to 708, correct?
And, of course, you're exporting to something like MXF OP1a that supprot captions being embedded in the file?
This is Premiere Pro 15.1.0.
Yes to Sony XDCam HD422 OP1a MXF. Done this like a billion times in v14. Trying to make deadlines, so I can't fiddle just now. I'll pipe back up when I get surface from my current grief. This file should have both 608 and 708:
By any chance are you using any of the options under the Effects tab in the Export Settings? We do have an open issue with effects applied via Effects tab in Export Settings (eg: Time Tuner, Video Limiter, etc.), that we are working on. A possible workaround is to apply the effect(s) in your Timeline, rather than Export Settings (eg: apply effect(s) to Adjustment Layer in Timeline)
One other open issue we are working on involves Sequences with non-standard frame rates (eg: Variable Frame Rate, 23.98 fps instead of 23.976, etc.). Possible workaround is to create Sequence with one of the available Timebase fps options or use one of the supplied Sequence presets.
Still working on deadline.
Nothing special in terms of effects/framerate. I got it to export out properly, and passed QC on a second attempt. I believe the secret sauce was, as suggeted above by jjc.tri, that everything needed to pre-rendered in the timeline.
I believe I successfully used direct export out of Premiere, and the failed version involved using Media Encoder. I'll try again later when I've got breathing room, as it's kinda important...
No probelem, I completely understand. Thanks for the quick update.
Hi again... I seem to have everything working now. Not sure what the deal was, but I'm suspecting the person proofing captions at the broadcaster didn't actually know how to get captions to display at their end.
BTW, many thanks for your concern! I have some suiggestions, but I'll put them in the forum that I found on the new captioning.
Sorry you had to go through that, but glad that it is finally sorted out.
We always welcome feedback, so please add to forums and UserVoice.