• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New PC completely freezes when exporting from Premiere Pro or Encoding 4K footage

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a brand new PC last month. 

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
  • 32GB RAM
  • Windows 10 Pro, version 1903, installed 7/25/2020

I am editing a project and first created proxies for my clips. I had a mix of 1080p footage and 4K footage. I used Media Encoder to create proxies. I was able to run my smaller clips through without any problems. But, when I tried the 4K clips, my computer completely froze. No mouse response or anything. I had to force turn off my computer. 😞 This happened 2-3 times. 

Now, I am trying to export a different project from Premiere Pro.

Just a simple 7 minute video. Here are some of my export settings:

• Format: H.264
  • Dimensions: 1920p x 1080p
  • Profile: high
  • Level: 4.2
  • Bit rate encoding: VBR 2-Pass
  • Target bit rate: 15 Mbps
  • Maximum bit rate: 40 Mbps
  • ‘Render at maximum depth’ 
  • ‘Use maximum render quality’

I tried exporting from Premiere and my computer froze again. After reading some forums, I tried sending it through Media Encoder but it still froze.

My computer is new so I'm not sure what the problem is. Is there an export setting I'm missing that would cause this to happen? Am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks in advance! 

K

TOPICS
Crash , Editing , Error or problem , Export , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently updating/resetting my Adobe programs 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not specify which GPU you have. You see, all of the F- and KF-series Intel CPUs require a discrete GPU just for systems equipped with such CPUs to even run at all.

With that said, the crashes point to either faulty system or GPU RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• ‘Render at maximum depth’ 
  • ‘Use maximum render quality’

Turn off both Render at Maximum Quality and Use Maximum Render Quality unless you know what they actually do and know that you need it. You have the RTX 2070 so you do not need Use Maximum Render Quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep! That worked. Could also be that I updated Premiere Pro. But yes, thank you!

Does this lessen my video quality at all? The export looks fine to me. Just wondering? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, especially if most of the effects are GPU accelerated. In fact, in some systems enabling MRQ will force software-only rendering, which is what you do not want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Max Depth is to ensure that the CPU uses full-depth encoding as a GPU would if there's not a GPU present. Outside of that, there are a few occasions where say a prescribed 10 or 12 bit export format/codec combo doesn't get proper bit-depth without it checked. I've had that once, and know a couple others that have also.

But normally, if you've a full GPU like yours, Max Depth is useless and can cause artifacts. And if you're exporting to H.264, 8-bit ... it ain't of much use anyway.

Max Quality is for major resizing if you're getting jaggies on diagonal lines. Other than that it does nothing, and on odd occassions can cause artifacts.

Another thing that can cause issues is the "render in linear ... " option in sequence settings and some export settings.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil, is "Max Quality is for major resizing if you're getting jaggies on diagonal lines. Other than that it does nothing, and on odd occassions can cause artifacts." similar to using bicubic scaling which is supposed to give you slightly better quality for scaling up?   Always looking for ways to eke the best possible quality.   Don't think you can enable bicubic scaling in premiere, but it is available in AE...

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think they're roughly similar ... I know it handles angled things better, but I don't know the details. It's not a huge change, but often enough to 'fix' a situation.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines