• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Premiere Pro CC2018 PDF Manual published!

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FINALLY!

There's a new 500+ page pdf-format manual for Premiere Pro just released today ...

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere_pro_reference.pdf

It's got a very clear contents listing at the front, with hyperlinked content ... so when you see what you need, click, and you go right to it. It's of course downloadable so you can take it with you and is rather complete on the basic steps to use nearly everything. I've not been through the whole thing, but a LOT of the questions we get on this forum are answered herein.

Neil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing here, Neil.

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks R Neil Haugen​, I just downloaded. I of course immediately searched for "Dolby", hmmm... didn't find it in there! Though the spelling check here on the web did correct to a capital "D"!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Dolby apparently required Adobe to remove all bits of it from all Adobe apps, well ... I'm not surprised Dolby isn't in there. They do have several FAQs published and available on possible ways to get through that problem with ac3, that sadly won't help everybody.

LIke everybody else, Adobe has to abide by ownership rights laws. Even when they are extremely inconvenient for their users.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just kidding of course, but I did do the search!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil!  So helpful to have this again.  Curious, how would have I found this were it not for your post here?  I don't see any "help" path that leads me there...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was just released to the public today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you learn of it?  In the past, I'd go to help and the application and to user manuals - where only online versions existed and still exist.  I don't see any "path" from a users perspective that would lead me to these links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There were several of these that "dropped" this morning ... and the ACP's were notified of the list. I immediately posted that here.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2018 Sep 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is wonderful. But WHY is the PDF hidden. I have been complaining LOUDLY about the lack of this, and I randomly run across it in the forums? I'm grateful, but Adobe get it together.

There needs to be an obvious, persistent and well publicized area that has these PDF manuals reside in. When I am working on a project, the last thing I need in a reference is the cluttered waste pit that is online web help. I look there when things are leisurely and I am casually perusing, not for mission critical lookup.

Is there any updates to these PDF's, or do they remain hidden at Hogwarts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF at that link does get updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No link from any of the help pages that I can find.

Note that the pdf at the link in Neil's top post here is (now) to the 4/13/18 version, the latest. When he posted, it was 3/9/18, i.e. updated once. The newer version is the one to use: many changes that I'm confident are more consistent with the latest versions. But already behind.

The archival list of pdf's is here, but does not include either of the latest two.

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Archive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the first/top one IS the most recent version (4/13/18), just labeled wrong:

CC (June 2016)
Adobe Premiere Pro CC Help (PDF)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol. Good catch.

If you look at the last publish date that archive page, it is because it was the 2016 version when the page was published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made more substantial progress on getting to grips with new features and quickly referencing something as needed with the PDF.

I would now rate these the single most valuable piece of the CC subscription.

Thank You

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree. And it still isn't the easiest thing to find, which I do not understand.

Also, Jarle Leirpoll's ebook/printed "The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro" is the best detailed manual for getting things done and that righteously fast from basic projects setup including making projects that are simply holders of templates to grab and use in working projects; audio setup, routing, effects and export; graphics and mogrts and old Titler use; round tripping ti AfterEffects and Audition  ... and about anything else you can find to do.

500 plus dense pages. Detailed contents to find everything fast.

I don't get a dime but you'll get better fast ...

Premierepro.net

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

500? Make that 1200.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, right ... don't want to short it! Where'd I think 500? ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should we need an outside source for comprehensive help. While I appreciate outside references and find great value in them Adobe needs to get there s*** together and address this massive failing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pdf I referenced in the first post in this thread is a massive step forward from the mess that had been the previous mashups. It covers most general operations in enough detail to start doing most of what the app can do. It truly is a major step forward, and please ... keep pressure on them to keep it up to date and expand it over time!

Hit that UserVoice system which clearly they are using.

Of course that new pdf isn't as detailed into specific workflow situations as Jarle's book, nor would I expect it to be. I also run Resolve, which has a manual more detailed than the newest PrPro pdf, and is a very good example of what to aim for in a general manual. That however is STILL not enough to really ground one into using the program, and I have both online subscription sites I pay for and books either ebook or paper that I also obtain for the more detailed things for certain workflows in both programs.

Let alone AfterEffects!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that with us. I have the following questions:

1. Do these two terms mean exactly the same thing: FIXED EFFECTS and INTRINSIC EFFECTS?
    • Page 371: Fixed effects says, "Every clip you add to a Timeline panel has Fixed effects pre-applied, or built in."
    • If you search the document for "intrinsic effect" you will find it ten times. For example, on page 378 as part of the "Use FX badges" section.
  2. Manual seems to contradict itself about the order in which FIXED EFFECTS and STANDARD EFFECTS are rendered. This may be a mistake in the manual or I may be confused about it's meaning.
    • Page 372 says, "Premiere Pro renders Fixed effects after any Standard effects that are applied to the clip."
    • Page 373 says, "If you want to change the render order of Fixed effects, use Standard effects instead."
    • So if the statement on page 372 is correct then any STANDARD EFFECTS that are added to "override" the FIXED EFFECTS would be superseded by those FIXED EFFECTS because the FIXED EFFECTS are rendered last. (Or am I confused?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confused maybe? If you leave the Fixed effects at the default values with no keyframes, then they wont be used.

BTW: I had to text search for the text strings you posted. I was looking for the page numbers first, but they don't match the PDF I have. For instance:

• Page 373 says, "If you want to change the render order of Fixed effects, use Standard effects instead."

Is on page 379 in my manual. Each page of the manual has a date on the bottom, my says:

Last updated 10/15/2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MyerPj,

Thanks for the quick response.

1. Interesting. I downloaded the PDF today from the link provided in the first message in this thread. My says, "Last updated 4/13/2018" so you clearly have a newer version.

2. I'm not disputing what the program does. I'm just pointing out an error in the manual. Can you confirm that, despite the differences in page number, do my quotes from it match your manual?

3. Where does the manual say, "If you leave the Fixed effects at the default values with no keyframes, then they wont be used."

4. If you do change the Fixed effect values, then what happens a Standard effect intersect with the same aspects of the clip?

5. Where can I get the latest version of the manual?

I've been writing software for about 45 years and it is my passionate belief that an application can be no better than the documentation that describes how to use it. But I could be wrong.

Peace,

Rob:-]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines