Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New v15 loses renders to the updated captions feature

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I'm using Premiere Pro v15.0 on an iMac (iMac20,2) with a 3,8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, an AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB GPU, 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 RAM, and macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 installed.
I render my sequence in the timeline, the line above said timeline gets from red to green, but, when I close the program and open it again later, the line above the different portions of captions is red again.
It doesn't appear to be a problem with the video codec I use (Blackmagic RAW, handled through Autokroma BRAW Studio), because the red portions are exclusively above the captions, whereas the gaps between each caption are still green when I open the program (see the attachment for reference).

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. Maybe it is the codec? I've just rendered another part of the timeline without captions and it's all red when I open the program later.
Then I don't understand the green gaps of the first render...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds weird, but it sometimes does the trick: Try and pock the eye off and on of one of the tracks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the culprit seems to be the render engine used: the recommended one (oh, the irony!) doesn't keep the renders of Blackmagic RAW-encoded clips (but it does with other video codecs, such as H.264). I can't see the name of the engine right now, but it's the one for Metal GPUs (like mine).
Instead, switching to the "obsolete" engine - I believe it's OpenGL - solved my problem (and it also renders much faster, apparently).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't know why I get surprised, since I'm trying to click on "More", under my latest comment, to correct that "OpenGL" and turn it into "OpenCL" and this (see photo) is what I see after I click (in two different browsers: Chrome and Safari). I guess there should have been an "Edit" menu there, but this is the quality of Adobe's work: bugs and glitches even in a simple forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting what you learned.

Odd that the option to "Edit Reply"is missing for you.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected: OpenCL doesn't keep the renders, either...
Since I'm paying 50 euros a month for this service, who do I have to speak to to have this looked into and corrected?
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tycooko,

Sorry. This is likely due to working with an unsupported format. Defintiely report this to the team on User Voice.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't we have the simplest "Relink renders" option somewhere in the menu? Users have been asking for it for many years now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry for the frustration. Yes, I know about the issues you're talking about. Losing render files and no way to relink to existing render files is maddening. I've had the problem myself in the past. I also understand the frustration of lack of support for BRAW support when things go wrong.

I would say that these two issues have gotten a lot better lately with ProRes codecs I formerly had issues with. I noticed that I've not experienced this issue for the last  half a dozen or more releases. I have been able to reconnect render files too (Link Media dialog box), and that has been so welcome.

If you can file a bug with reproducible steps, engineering can definitely hammer on this bug - can you reproduce or is this a "sometimes" bug for you? It appears that it is the main problem: no one can reproduce the issue every time, though engineering has asked for such a case. That needs to happen, so if anyone out there can help, I'd be glad to set that up.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't about my "frustration" (for that, I would go to a therapist, not Adobe forums), nor it is about Blackmagic.
This is about Premiere being designed in a way that it CAN (I'm not saying it happens all the time) lose renders and this is not acceptable for a professional product that it is used for work and that carries with it so much responsibilities and even more so if the company of that program has this world-wide-hated monthly/annually payment basis that never allows you to OWN the program you're paying for, even if, after 10 years, I will have probably spent enough money to buy a car but, apparently for Adobe, not enough to be the actual owner of a few softwares. I appreciate Adobe releasing updates more frequently to justify this, but it looks like we're not there yet.
Your angle ("Tell me the exact thing that isn't responding well with the program, so we can adjust THAT.") might not work in the long run, because things (codecs, plugins, etc.) update all the time and, for how Premiere is designed (I've never lost one single render with Final Cut in decades, for instance) this is bound to happen if you don't let us the freedom to TELL Premiere to look for the renders.
What you've referred to (the window where Premiere asks you to relink the renders) is fantatic...WHEN THE PROGRAM FEELS LIKE DOING IT and it's in no way a solution to the issue I'm talking about here, because MOST of the time Premiere loses the renders, it seems like it doesn't "sense" it has lost them, so it doesn't offer you to look for them.
Finally: yes, this happens 100% of the time with .braw files. The times I solved the issue it wasn't thanks to Adobe, but thanks to the fantastic guys at Autokroma (I use BRAW Studio to import .braw clips) that specifically had to tweak their plugin to compensate for the bugs of Premiere (they do it all the time: like for the infamous 2020 timeline shift that made your clips lose their in and out points if you transfered your project to another machine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read your post here and think that the product team needs to be aware of your complaints. I'll let them know if I can, but it's better to file a bug so that the devs can address your concerns directly. File and give feedback here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is getting more and more creative by the hour: now, with version 15.1, opening the project again makes it "sense" it has lost some renders; only they're not the files I have saved in my drive (they have other titles/alphanumeric codes). I try to select my renders anyway, it confirms they're the right ones, the line goes green, I save and close the program. When I open Premiere and the project again, the line is red again and, this time, it doesn't ask to reconnect the renders anymore.
I've tried to do this three times now (each time deleting the old renders, rendering again, closing the program and starting the cycle once more), always with the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you are experiencing this, tycooko. It sounds like the versions of the preview files are getting confused. I will try to reproduce your experience on my end. So far, I have not heard of anyone else having this problem, but this sounds pretty frustrating. I hope others will chime in.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile: what's the reason why we can't have a "Relink renders" button? Out of curiosity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
Is the Link Media dialog not working for that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Link Media dialog is only selectable when the whole clip seems to be offline. It doesn't have to do with missing renders.
Am I wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's where I have been able to relink to render files, if they are available. I think the nature of Premiere Pro is that render files are very fragile, in general. So, I don't think the option appears if Premiere Pro can't connect to them. Hopefully, we can nail down some repeatable bugs to file for the devs.

I have heard of preview files getting confused, so that may be a component of what you're experiencing. Did you delete media cache after updating, per chance?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, so going back to: why can't we have a "Relink renders" button?

(No: after updating I didn't delete media cache. Will do now.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting media cache doesn't change the end result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tycooko,

I was able to reproduce your issue using the I-Frame MPEG codec (the default). I switched it to ProRes LT and was not able to reproduce the issue. If you have time, can you verify? I'll file a bug on your behalf.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have Premiere busy, running with heavy exports, but I can already tell you that I use ProRes Proxy to render my timeline (so, at least at the moment, that's the one that Premiere has kept losing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use I-Frame MPEG because there's no option for UHD resolution (which I need).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, so I was able to use ProRes LT. Same result.

Are you rendering .braw files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines