• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Newbie Questions re Dual Monitors? K designation for processor? Keyboard/mouse? Sound card?

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am searching for a new desktop PC to learn Premiere Pro and do video editing for our YouTube Channel. I wonder if someone can help me with these questions:

Would it be helpful for a newcomers to have a setup with dual monitors, or with one larger one? If so, what size monitor/s?

Would the K designation on Intel processors be useful for video editing, or is that for gamers?

Is it helpful to have a keyboard and mouse made for video editing, or not. If so, what would you recommend?

Some of the specs for a video editing computer I've seen call for a sound card ("fast and large"), yet none of the computers I've looked at list one. What should I be looking for?

Thank you very much!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RjL can fill you in on the other details. It is very useful to have at least two screens, perhaps an ultrawide for general UI work, and a second monitor for either spreading out additional windows or perhaps to have a 16:9 like a 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 for "transmit out" full-screen viewing of the output.

Personally, I've got an ultrawide for main UI, a 24" 1080 with an additional panel group I created over on that monitor with several premiere panels depending on the workspace I'm in, and a third UHD/3840x2160 for transmit out.

Depending on how serious you're going to be working, and of course how much moola you're willing to spend, other gear can be very useful.

• editing keyboards: some LOVE them, look around and ask ... like many, I use a small keyboard while editing (replacing my big one for typing) so that I've room for my mouse and my button-box alongside it.
  • Button box: X-keys, a Razer Orbweaver Chroma, others ... you can set macros to so many options in Premiere to extend what you can do quickly.
  • gaming mice: again, because of the better ergonomics (normally) and additional buttons plus the ability to set macros to the several extra buttons, these are heavily used by editors.
  • control surfaces: depending on whether you want better and faster audio or color work, you may look at a Behringer audio panel or something for color work like the Tangent Wave2, Ripple ... or even high-end, like the full Tangent Elements panel I'm using. That is becoming more of a Swiss-army-knife do-all tool in Premiere, as they are working at even connecting with some of the Audio mixer controls via their Hub software.

When I'm working hard, my Razer Orbweaver Chroma button-box and the full Elements surface take over the lower-keyboard area of my desk, with the top of the desk housing left to right my Wacom pen-tab, a small wireless keyboard, and my mouse.

I'm heavily working through the Elements panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I only have one single display on my desktop.

The K designation on Intel processors simply means that the CPU is multiplier-unlocked, and thus permit you to intentionally overclock the CPU if you wish to (but be careful not to overdo it as too high of a CPU clock speed can make things unstable). And on certain K parts, the base and the all-core sustainable clock speeds are higher than on their non-K siblings. This can help with all apps, not just games. However, as the K CPUs no longer include a stock cooler at all, you will need to purchase a good third-party (aftermarket) CPU cooler that's designed for LGA 115x/1200 (all of the mainstream, as opposed to HEDT, Intel CPU platforms from the earliest Lynnfield of 2009 to the current Comet Lake desktop use exactly the same CPU cooler mount).

And skip the F CPUs: Those F CPUs have their integrated graphics permanently disabled during manufacturing, and thus have the QuickSync decoder and encoder permanently disabled as well. As such, you will be stuck with software-only decoding (and software-only encoding if you do not have a supported discrete GPU for hardware encoding). If that level of decoding performance is what you're willing to settle for, you might as well go with the AMD Ryzen 3000 series instead of the Intel F-series CPUs since comparable-core-and-thread-count versions of both perform roughly equal to one another when only the CPU is involved.

And the KF designation is a combination of both the F and the K designations. Like the F CPUs, the KF's are not recommended at all for a video editing PC. Leave the KF's for strictly gaming PCs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot computer audio. If none of the computers you looked at are available with a discrete sound card at all, then I would ask about the quality of the on-motherboard audio first. Cheap motherboards typically come with onboard audio that's just suitable for consumer use but might not perform well in professional use. This is part of the reason why I replaced my entry-level motherboard with a $300-ish motherboard a week ago. (I still have the entry-level motherboard in case I want to rebuild my in-law's currently disused PC that I built for them years ago.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>searching for a new desktop PC

Buy a ready made Desktop Video Editing PC
-http://www.sharbor.com/ or https://www.pugetsystems.com/
-UK http://3xs.scan.co.uk/Category.asp?SystemMasterCategoryID=14

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you to everyone who replied. You have been very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the second monitor for a client preview monitor it is not that hard to setup as seen in the video below.

https://youtu.be/hrAUH8VAG4M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you!

David Berkedal, Pastor
909 519-0274
dberkedal@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB7KnYS1bpHKaL2OseQWCnw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines