Highlighted

No Audio with imported AVI

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded some videos from the screen of my computer with Techsmith Relay in avi format. 

They work fine when I play with my windows media player or any other player in other computers. 

When I want to edit them, I import them in Adobe Premiere Pro. 

When I play them, there is no sound!

I cleaned the cache folders:

\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache

but it did not solve the problem.

I also reinstalled the program and it did not solve it either. 

I looked up the two past relevant questions and followed the instructions, and again no luck! Here are the links:

Topic 1

Topic 2

The audio waveform is a solid green all over. It does not look like a wave, just solid flat green rectangular. 

Thank you

Topics

Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

No Audio with imported AVI

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recorded some videos from the screen of my computer with Techsmith Relay in avi format. 

They work fine when I play with my windows media player or any other player in other computers. 

When I want to edit them, I import them in Adobe Premiere Pro. 

When I play them, there is no sound!

I cleaned the cache folders:

\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache

but it did not solve the problem.

I also reinstalled the program and it did not solve it either. 

I looked up the two past relevant questions and followed the instructions, and again no luck! Here are the links:

Topic 1

Topic 2

The audio waveform is a solid green all over. It does not look like a wave, just solid flat green rectangular. 

Thank you

Topics

Audio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screen recordings are problematic in premiere cause their frame rate is variable.

use media info to confirm this

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr

and here's a tutorial how to do it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the step by step answer. 

I just want to add that It used to be playing audio and everything fine in my Adobe but for unknown reasons, it stopped working for avi files!

I followed your first step and here is the screenshot of the media file info:

Capture - Copy (3).PNG

The Frame rate seems to be 15. A constant number. Am I right? Because I do not understand why you mentioned the rate is variable. 

My files are so big and all I want to do is to join three video files together. Each one of these video files is about one gigabyte. So I don't know if converting them to another format is an efficient way. (I will try though, maybe it is going to be a quick conversion)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any screen capture software will record in variable framerate if the system becomes too taxed to hold a constant framerate. I'm not sure which view of Media Info this is, but it doesn't actually show the "Frame Rate Mode," which would tell you if it's variable. It doesn't appear that it is since you have a nice solid 15. From my POV these files are actually quite a low bitrate already (2.5Mbps) although it is a smaller resolution as well, so you can probably get away with more.

I can only guess that there is some issue with that ADPCM format/codec. Going back to transcoding. You probably need to find a program that can recognize that and transcode it. Maybe it could be remuxed, but I'm not sure.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see if the files will import into adobe media encoder and see if you can export the audio separately as 48k 16 bit aiff.....  and then just replace the audio in premiee...  but it's a weird frame rate and a weird audio sampling rate both of which may be causing the problem....   I'm assuming you're on windows so I don't know any conversion tools that might work....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try transcoding to a different codec/format?

Edit: Oops.. forgot to hit send on my message and you got a more thorough answer in that time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

happens to me all the time...  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Ann Bens LATEST
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere might not support ADPCM audio.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines