No video playback or preview in Program or Source monitor v14.8

Explorer ,
Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere won't playback video on program or source monitor and won't even update the playhead when using version 14.8. It'll either display this light grey box or just the same dark grey as the rest of the UI, but moving the playhead around, pressing start/stop etc does nothing.

I think it may be a unique thing with my graphics card but still, this has never happened in any version before it.

Computer specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
MOBO: M5A99FX PRO R2.0
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7800
RAM: 24GB DDR3

If I change the video rendering and playback option from the Mercury PLayback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) to just software only and restart Premiere, it will play back (but obviously slower and harder to with effects cos it's just using the CPU).

no program or source playback.jpg

TOPICS
Error or problem, Freeze or hang, Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either you have a graphics driver issue, or the GPU itself is the issue. I'm not familiar with the Radeon numbering to have a clue how new/old that GPU is.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not count on Windows to be fully up to date when it comes to device drivers
Go to the vendor site to be sure you have an updated driver for your graphic adapter
•ATI Driver https://www.amd.com/en/support

There are also intermittent reports that the newest driver is not always the best driver due to driver bugs or compatibility issues, so you MAY need to try an earlier driver version

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines