Steps to reproduce bug:
This seems to happen almost every time. It's always on a single clip. Sometimes I wait for the wave forms to render and sometimes I don't (doesn't seem to make a difference). It happens regardless of whether I pick "Normalize Max Peak" or "Normalize All Peaks".
Anyone have a solution or work around?
Convert the mp3 to WAV in Audition.
PrPro is not great at working with mp3 files, period. Most advice you'll find is to stay away from them. One might work, another not, and one ... at times.
Thank you for your response, but I have to say I find it a bit unsatisfying. I've been doing this operation once a week for a couple years and as I said, if I normalize several times (like 4 or 5) it always eventually works. So it doesn't seem to be an issue with the audio file. And I find it difficult to believe that possibly the most popular editing application in the world doesn't know how to handle one of the most common audio formats in the world.
What we think or feel or believe doesn't matter as much as what is. If you look back through the threads here, searching for mp3, you'll find this a very thoroughly discussed issue. For years, mp3 has been problematic in PrPro. And the advice is always the same ... for working, convert to wav. Fast, you don't lose any quality, and it just works.
Working with mp3 will at some point break down. Which is why the ton of constant threads on this problem
And if you want, file the feature request for better mp3 support.
Ok - sounds like you know what you're talking about, so thanks for the helpful info.
Yea ... feature request form here ...
Adobe Bug Report /Feature Request form: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform
(They never respond, but all reports filed are collated and distributed to all managers in the app involved.)
This bug has nothing to do with being an MP3 vs uncompressed. MP3's might cause problems, but they don't cause this problem (I'm experiencing it right now w/ a .wav file). This bug got carried over from CC 2017, possibly even earlier versions (can't recall). As Neil said it's not a great idea to work with compressed files in premiere, but that isn't a workaround for the normalizing bug... as far as I can tell the only "workaround" is to keep normalizing and undoing until premiere gets it right. Would be lovely if this could get fixed...
I know - It's annoying, right? (though at least it's not work-stopping). I didn't think it was related to the audio format - thanks for the confirmation. If anyone knows how to avoid this please chime in, otherwise I guess I'll just keep normalizin' away
Kyle is correct, there's a normalization bug some are having now. However ... mp3's are simply 'unstable' to use in PrPro. Historically and currently. I wish it were otherwise, but I know of no experienced editor or sound specialist who suggest using mp3's in PrPro. Period.
So ... when someone has an issue with audio in PrPro, one of the first troubleshooting things is to make sure they're not using mp3. If they were, that normally clears the problem instantly. If ... after eliminating the mp3 potential for problem, one still is having troubles ... then the troubleshooting goes to the particular problem.
And filing the bug report is good to get the issue as far up that collated list distributed to all managerial types ...
Adobe Bug Report /Feature Request form ... https://www.adobe.com/go/wish
(They never respond to postings, but all filed reports are collated and distributed to all relevant managerial types, so they are seen.)
Sure, makes sense. In my case, I've been doing a very simple repetitive operation on a regular basis. If I were doing anything more complex, I might try to eliminate mp3s from the timeline, but I'm making a choice not to introduce more steps or create extra files, since I'm not experiencing any problems that are a result of using them (as confirmed by Kyle) and I need to keep the workflow simple and quick. In any event I have filed a bug report.
I think I just found a work-around for this annoying bug! Hopefully others will have good luck with it as well. First do Audio Gain > Adjust Gain by: 0. This will, of course, not change the audio level at all, but apparently has a kind of "resetting" effect on the clip. Then do Audio Gain > Normalize Max Peak to: -3 (or whatever), and it seems to work on the first try. I haven't tested it extensively, but it seems to work. If others have success / failure with it, I'd be interested in hearing.
Just wanted to report back that is seems as if this bug has been fixed by a recent update - at least I haven't encountered it for a few weeks. Hopefully it's gone for good.
Having the same issue. workaround doesn't work.
same issue, with wave files, workaround doesnt work. latest version of premiere pro.